Ex Nokia employee's make a new phone...

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Gav2k, May 21, 2013.

1. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22599877

Called the Jolla looks interesting...

399€ we target to ship by end of 2013 *)
    Jolla original design with ample 4.5” Estrade display
    Dual core and 4G**)
    Keep it and share with 16GB + microSD
    8MP AF camera
    User-replaceable battery
    The Other Half
    Gesture based Sailfish OS
    Android™ app compliant

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All I can say is DOA. MS and BlackBerry are working hard at trying to entice developers to their platform, I can't imagine another a startup platform being successful in getting any apps when some major players are struggling.

3. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

They don't need to entice devs it natively runs android apps

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I doubt they will have the marketing to be successful.

5. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

- Doesn't look like a nice OS
    - Doesn't look like a nice phone
    - Doesn't have the support Of Nokia
    - Is currently fighting against Samsung, Apple, Nokia, Blackberry & HTC who have been making phones a very very long time.

It has similar specs to a Lumia, similar looks to a lumia and runds android. I'm sorry but there's just no room for these phones anymore, if your going to come to the table at this point, then you better be bringing something new and exciting or innovative, because everyone ( including HTC, BlackBerry and Nokia ) are already fighting hard for market share and investing millions.

This might be good for lower end phones, that people can purchase for younger people directly from target, but in all honesty I don't think it's smart investing in something that has already been outdone, done or done better.

I'm all for new and interesting designs, and being the underdog, the little guy, but sometimes you gotta know when your idea is best kept as just an idea.

edit: and please don't tell me meego is new and innovative, well new maybe but nokia abandoned it for windows phone because it was crap. I'm sorry.

Good luck to them for developing an OS, and I hope they continue to be able to persue their passion, it's a shame nokia abandoned their hard work in favour of windows 8, but the truth is windows 8 kicks ass, it blows the other operating systems out of the water in my opinion.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Totally missed that point in the article :eek:

Still, I think my point remains - I don't think there's room for a start up platform especially when other established players are struggling to gain traction.

There's only so much phones wireless carriers are willing to carry.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I bought an N9. I'm probably one of the few here that actually did.

Would I spend €400 on another device that so far has been revealed by catchphrases, buzz words, promises of great things - but no explanation of what these great details would be or come from other than more vague cliches.

Sorry Jolla, but I ain't buying.......

----------

I don't think its 'native', its like BB 10's android support from what I have read. Which means it won't have like for like performance...

----------

It doesn't run Android..... It can support recompiled android applications, but that doesn't mean its running android.....

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, and so did the Blackberry Playbook. How'd that work out?

----------

I have to agree. The mobile phone market is already very competitive and I cannot see room being made for another, especially when their innovation is having the OS color scheme change when a different cover is attached. This device has midrange specs and offers no advantage over existing devices already on the market, much less against what's available by the time this is released.

Blackberry and Microsoft are struggling to stay afloat in this industry, not a snowball's chance in hell this will see any success.

9. otismotive77 macrumors 6502

boring UI and the icons are the worst part of it. they have to do much better than that if they want their company to survive

10. kdarling, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

What they need is a hook of some sort... something to get some fans.

We're entering the age of semi-boutique phones.

For example, there are dozens of startup phone manufacturers in China.

Many of these little phone makers don't sell a lot, but a few have gained hundreds of thousands of diehard fans, who eagerly await each new limited run model.

One company even takes customer suggestions on their website, and reportedly releases a new software update every week reflecting those desires. Their phones now sell in the millions.

11. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Should appeal to Linux nuts since it's a descendant of MeeGo.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I can't imagine that this will survive 6 months.

13. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Gee-whizz, hoodathunkit? Give the customer what they want. Now there's a novel way to run your business. :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, that's exactly what keeps my business going strong. :)

14. kasakka macrumors 68000

Based on the demos they showed some time ago, I felt there were lots of situations where you can accidentally activate something and many things that weren't particularly intuitive.

That said I think it's a good project, a decent looking phone and hopefully succeeds. Windows Phone isn't doing any favors to Nokia. I'd gladly buy a Lumia with Android but can't stand WP.

15. beaniemyman macrumors 6502

agreed, icons were the worst part.

but the phone looks nice and the specs are also good. price isn't bad either.

16. otismotive77 macrumors 6502

yeah, the price is the only good thing.

17. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

The last think anyone needs is another mobile ios. I dont care if its better than iOS, Android and Win8 combined it just wont make it.