Ex-PC, two wk. Old MacBookPro 13.3 baby and crying for input.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by noach, Apr 24, 2010.

1. noach macrumors newbie

Ex-PC, two wk. Old MacBookPro 13.3 baby and crying for input.

Purchased Windows 7 Professional and Fusion 3, printed out bootcamp installation guide which was an older one unbeknown to me.

Partitioned HD to 60 GB and tried to follow instructions. Had to back track a couple times. My lack of understanding. Installed Windows 7. Did not see anything happening after awhile: Nothing was showing an installation was taking place. Got impatient and probably screwed up something.

Went through total install including Fusion 3 etc. etc.

My instructions indicated I should have had extra pop up windows appear which did not.

End result: Windows and Mac would not open up at the same time (side by side) as advertised and finally after screwing up things even further, Windows would not even open.

Windows sign in screen poped up, Password entered.....another pop up window asks for PW to allow VMware to make changes....pop up says “waiting for unity, Vmware can not enter unity. Wait or click on “Show Window” to interact with Virtual Machine. ---in short Windows will not open anymore.

I think I need to start over from the beginning. How?????

Does someone have a current link and up to date instructions for me to be able to do this. Restore boot camp partition and start over.

Do I need to uninstall Fusion 3 and if so How?

Please keep it as simple as possible. I am Mac illiterate.

noach

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As far as I know, you don't use Bootcamp for virtualization, you have to follow Fusion's instructions

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Bootcamp = dual booting, or only having one OS run at a time but directly on the hardware.
    VMWare Fusion = virtualisation, or having a guest OS (Widows 7 etc...) run on top of a host OS (OS X) and so you are able to run both at the same time.

If you only want to run Windows 7 virtualised (at the same time as OS X) then you need to open up VMWare Fusion, Click the Home icon in the Virtual machine Library and then click on the "Install Windows or another operating system in a new virtual machine.".

However it is possible to do both, by installing Windows via bootcamp. The bootcamp partition should then appear in the list of virtual machines in VMWare Fusion. However there can be licensing issues with Windows if you do this.

4. noach thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused:Tks Hel, but really not what I needed. tks anyway. :)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, what do you need then?

Bootcamp is if you natively want to boot into Windows, Fusion is for virtualization, meaning that you can run more than one OS at the same time.

You don't need Fusion for Bootcamp nor Bootcamp for Fusion

6. noach thread starter macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: Dark, I know that this is possible, but I think what I need to do is start over from the beginning. I am not capable of fixing what I did wrong already. Need help in un-doing what I did! Tks. Any other suggestions?
    :confused:

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

As mentioned above, it sounds like you installed windows in a bootcamp partition. This is for dual booting (not running Win7 and OSX at the same time). You should follow the fusion instructions for a virtualization solution.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If you just want to run Windows 7 virtualised.
    1) Open up "Boot Camp Assistant" (in Applications > Utilities)
    2) Create or remove a Windows partition
    3) Choose Restore disk to a single Mac OS partition
    4) Continue (I can't check the rest but it should be fairly obvious)

This will get you back to having a single partition running OS X.

You can then decide what you want to do.

If you want to just run Windows using VMWare Fusion. Open up VMWare Fusion, Click the Home icon in the Virtual machine Library and then click on the "Install Windows or another operating system in a new virtual machine.", and follow the instructions.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Step 1: Go back to Bootcamp and remove the Windows partition.

Step 2: Locate and delete the Windows 7 virtual machine that VMWare Fusion created. This should be in your documents folder, in a Virtual Machine folder.

Step 3: Empty the trash.

Now you're back at the beginning

Step 4: Decide - Do you want a virtual machine for running Windows, but NOT for gaming, or would you rather run Windows natively, so that you CAN game, but not run OS X at the same time? Or, would you like both options?

11. noach thread starter macrumors newbie

Mobile...I thought it was after I installed Fusion, but I must of did something wrong in the install....

Dark, tks I will try this and see what happens...it will be a few hours from now and I will return.

jade, tks for your input....will try all of the above and be back later...

Hay Dark and Jade, this is Andrew, noach's son. I think the problem is Dad read somewhere that he should use NTFS vs. Fat32 (which may or may not have happened). While I could not find it explicitly stated I think what I learned is that mac os x is only compatible with fat32 and not with NTFS which might be part of the problem. Confirm or deny???

He will restore patrician and state over. He does want to run both win 7 & os x simultaneously (gaming is not an issue).

tks will Wait for you response.

12. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The FAT32 versus NTFS is only an issue if you are installing windows directly on the machine and you need to both read and write to the Windows partition from OS X. OS X will read from an NTFS partition but not write to it without additional software.

Once you have restored the partition state, just go into VMWare Fusion and follow it's instructions to install Windows, you do not need to partition your hard drive. I would recommend using NTFS when you install Windows, this should not cause any issues. It hasn't for any of the versions of Windows that I run using VMWare Fusion.

The problem is that you should not partition the hard drive or use Boot Camp if you just want to install Windows into a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion.

Here's what you should do once you have restored your hard drive back to one partition.
    1) Open VMWare Fusion
    2) Click the Home icon
    3) Click the "Install Windows or another operating system in a new virtual machine".
    4) Put your Windows disk into the disk drive
    5) It should automatically detect the disk,
    if it doesn't click the "Continue without disk" button, and then make sure the "Use operating system installation disc" radio button is selected, click continue and from the drop downs select "Microsoft Windows" and "Windows 7" for 32bit or "Windows 7 x64" for 64bit.
    6) Enter your details into the easy install sections.
    7) Choose how you want to run Windows, this can be easily switched later. I would select More Isolated for the time being as it should be more familiar.
    8) Check the settings, you may need to customize them if for example you want to allocate Windows 7 a larger (virtual) hard drive or more RAM.
    If you do select Customize Settings, it will ask you to name the virtual machine and will then popup the settings which you can then change. Once they are set how you like them, close the settings. And then press the "Start Up" button at the bottom middle of the "Virtual Machine Library" window.
    9) wait while Windows installs itself.

Note if you do not select the Easy Install then you will just get to chose the various options during the Windows installation process, as you would when installing Windows 7 on a PC.

ps if you ever find the mouse/keyboard trapped in the virtual machine press [ctrl] + [cmd].

13. noach thread starter macrumors newbie

:D:D Your instructions were perfect. Between you and jade, I was able to open Windows 7 and Mac at the same time. It took me over 1 1/2 hours to do the entire procedure but i just finished and it works. I have a lot of fine tuning to to on Windows and transferring of files and loading up a lot of software I had from PC.

Thank you guys a ton. This time though, I kept better notes and I see where I made some real bad mistakes: 1. accidentally checked Windows xp instead of W7 for 32 bit, 2. waited for the entire download to complete, 3. did not partition boot camp, 4. there was a few things more but those were the worst.......I will play with this for awhile, but can I come back to you with a few more questions when they pop up? I still haven't been able to get both windows side by side yet, etc.
    :D:D:D:D
    noach

14. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

PS: Install the PC Tools or the VMWare Tools app as it allows the seamless transfer of the mouse pointer from Mac OS X to Win7 and vice versa.

Cheers and welcome to Mac OS X ... may your stay be a challenging (keeps you interested and learning) and FUN one.

15. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You should already have the VMWare Tools installed if you went with the easy setup option. You can check this by going to the system tray in Windows 7 and clicking the little up arrow. There should be an icon for VMWare Tools there. If there isn't go to the Virtual machine menu at the top of the screen and choose Install VMWare Tools.

Anyway to get the windows side by side press the Unity button on the top right of the Windows 7 window. Or you could go to the View menu at the top of the screen and select Unity from there.

Sure, go ahead.

16. noach thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused: I followed your instructions above, installed tools etc. and was able to get W7 to open up and snap it to the left(half screen) great....brought up safari and it over layed W7 and was able to go back and forth with cursor; then I tried to close W7 to see if i could reopen it again and it just disappeared. I named it earlier when it asked me to; went to Finder/shared(my W7 ) doubled clicked on it and said "connection failed".

I don't know what happened or what to do now! It seems like we are moving 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. I get real excited that something is working and then something else happens,

Could it be that I should have also reinstalled Fusion 3 when I was following your instructions about restoring the bootcamp HD? ***note*** I did not delete the W7 virtual machine that VM created in the Virtual Machine folder---I did not see it there.... Is this a concern to you?

Every time you tell me to do a procedure things get better and closer to what I have been expecting this mac to do. I am frustrated.

17. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You should not need to reinstall VMWare Fusion at all, as long as it works correctly. Using bootcamp, installing and removing virtual machines should not cause it any issues.

Your Virtual Machines folder should contain just the one file (well it's a package really) which is Windows 7 (or whatever you named it). However you can have as many virtual machines as you like in VMWare Fusion so my Virtual Machine folder currently has 8 different ones. I personally don't touch the files in the Virtual Machine folder.

Did you press the Unity button?

It's just I'm not sure it's doing what you want it to do. What unity does is allow you to have Windows programs open and act as OSX windows, so they appear in the dock. And the VMWare menu at the top right of your screen acts as the Windows start menu.

Personally I don't use unity as it seems to be a bit flakey to me, then again I'm not on a 13.3" screen.

When you closed the Windows 7 virtual machine it should have saved it's state (no need to shut Windows down), you should be able to go into VMWare Fusions Virtual Machine Library and click on the play button to resume your Windows 7 virtual machine.

As for the "connection failed" error, I'm not sure what caused that. It might be worth closing VMWare down and opening it again.

18. noach thread starter macrumors newbie

I am in the process of trying to get familiar with Mac, I am frustrated, there is just so much difference in the menus and the way mac works, I am getting lost. I really need hands on help.

I purchased this from this on line store and paid for apple care, purchased W7 Professional and Fusion 3 from local mac store. Local mac store will only help me if I pay for it (didn't buy through them), on line apple help goes to a foreign country (have trouble understanding accent).

I have software that I can't afford to replace. This is why I wanted the Windows/Fusion/boot camp combination. My pc software would not install onto mac.

At this point, W7 is running with mac at the same time (no bootcamp), but I can"t install my PC software.

I hope you are understanding what I am trying to do and why.

I will be gone for a few hours. cul