ex-pc user want to buy iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Marko1976, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Marko1976 macrumors newbie

Hello...

I am a PC user for many many years... have done a lot of video, photo and audio production on my PCs over last 15 years on semi-pro level. I have always adjusted my work to my PC capatibilies, so I am used to always have work done...

My PC is damaged now, windows laptop too. So I have done a big reaearch of what is on market today.

And I am also sick of Windows un-inspiring OS. I am interested in all-in-one machine. Don't like those towers and cables anymore. But Windows AIOs all have some bad points, either the screen or resolution, processor capatibilies, runninf loud, and most of them can not be compared to iMacs design and solid manufactured, state of art machines.

Now I have two kids, doing a lot less of those audio-video pro things. I want indeed machine which is capable to do my multimedia tasking and casual day-to-day stuff... and which is very well made, quiet, nice designed...etc..

I used photoshop, sony vegas and cubase with lots of plugins for the most on my Pc.

My latest 8 years old PC is like this: Core 2 Duo; Two times DDR2 667 (5) 1GX16 (I don't know is this 2 or 4 Gigs of RAM together?); Hard drive WD Caviar SE 16 500 GB; Ati Sapphire HD 2600 XT. The monitor is 22 inch LG Flatron L226WTQ.

I want to purchase iMac 21 with this specs: 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz; 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB; 1TB Fusion Drive; Intel Iris Pro Graphics.

So let's move on my questions:

1. How much more capable or faster will be new iMac compared to my PC? Something about 50%? Will I be able to do multimedia tasking flawless?

2. Is Iris pro also comparable to my old Ati?

3. Is there any comparison possible to make between my old monitor and new iMacs display?

4. Is fusion drive smart decision if I want fast and quite machine?

5. Are fans running loud on iMacs? I have had borrowed Macbook pro retina 15 and it was the most quite machine I ever worked with.

Thanks for answers...

Marko

2. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

1. Without actually checking my guess, I would say you are looking at much much more than 50%. More likely 2-5 times faster.
    2. This source indicates Iris Pro being 25-50% faster: http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/compari...ro-graphics-5200-desktop-vs-radeon-hd-2600-xt. I would take that with a grain of salt.
    3. Honestly, best way is to visit your local Apple reseller.
    4. Above all, it's a compromise between speed and storage space. If fast and quiet are your only needs, you will be better served with an SSD.
    5. Generally not, can't say for this machine. If it's only integrated GPU, that should help keep the fan noise levels low. Typically Apple computers are whisper quiet when they are not under stress. They can ramp up quite a bit while under stress.

3. Marko1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, omenatarhuri...

I would add:

1. Ok, I see my iMac will be fast and responsable enough...

2. I mean, I am no gamer, but my kids will eventually want to play some games soon... I don't need high end graphics, but just ant it to be possible to play some mid-quality games...

3. display is important to me... I am also looking at 27 retina 5k iMac... But it is little too expensive at the moment for me... Any thoughts on iMac 21 display?

4. I know SSD is better, but it is also expensive... Is fusion also quiet in comparison to HDD?

5. Yes, I hope iMac 21 will be quiet also...;)

If this is not too much off topic...:

6. Are there any good online articles about the transition from PC to Mac? Are there any tricky things, I will must be aware off? Are files on Macintosh disk organized similary to those in Explorer in Windows? Will I be able to use external USB sound cards? Is the USB transfer for mp3 files from external disk to macintosh drive the same experience like in PC? I know those are silly questions, but I just want to be sure - moving to mac platform is a huge step...

Thanx...
    Marko

4. azure247 macrumors 6502

i would just run imac in windows bootcamp

there are many things u wont like on osx being a pc user (like me)

the mouse acceleration is different in osx
    i find its faster to find what u need on windows
    u are going to miss the browser snap feature
    closing or minimizing browsers are now located in the top left corner

overall, i find windows UI better.

21 inch is very small screen too, nowadays, i find a minimum 23 inch to be the best size. i would go 27 because it allows u to do many things at once

5. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

I recommend you explore a factory-refurbished 2013 imac 27 with Fusion Drive. They are essentially brand new. I got a factory refurbished MacBook Air and all the labels and stickers were still on it.

A 2013 iMac 27 is significantly less expensive than a 2014 retina iMac and performs very well. Fusion Drive is very quiet: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

However, note: Sony Vegas is Windows only and will not run natively on OS X. It will run under Parallels or VMWare, but I don't know how well. FCP X is professional editing software and IMO it's a lot better than Vegas but it will require a learning curve. For basic things you can use iMovie, which is free.

Yes, too many to list. If you just google "PC to Mac switcher forums" or "pc to mac transition", you'll see lots of good advice. David Pogue has a well-regarded book "Switching to the Mac", but I haven't read it: http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac...14316278&sr=1-1&keywords=switching+to+the+mac

They appear superficially similar. If you are familiar with Windows Explorer you can figure out the Mac Finder pretty quickly. Macs can read and write FAT32 and exFAT file system disks, and read (but not write) NTFS disks. There is a 3rd party app called Paragon which lets Macs write NTFS: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Yes it is the same. You can interchange data on the same USB sticks and portable hard drives, provided they are formatted FAT32 or exFAT (preferred). NTFS-formatted hard drives can be read by OS X but not written (without Paragaon utility). Portable hard drives formatted with Mac native HFS+ cannot be read by Windows without a similar utility.[/QUOTE]

You can easily network Macs and PCs together and share printers.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Azure247 has his own point of view, and from his perspective I am sure he feels this way. However I would say, being a windows switcher many years ago, and knowing people that I have helped switch since, that although the Mac OS user interface is different, most people prefer the Mac OS X UI after a few weeks use.

I am not saying the Mac OS X interface is prefect, but on balance using a PC and a Mac at work I prefer the Mac UI. My advice to the Marko1976 is to check out the Mac UI in an Apple store, although it does take a while to get used to it.

7. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Can confirm. OSX UI > Windows UI. Especially if you're flexible and learn how to use the different ways of doings things instead of clinging to the little Windows things like start menu, window snap, etc.

8. Marko1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have borrowed MacBook Pro Retina 15 from my friend for one day and all I can tell is that I don't want to go back to the windows anymore. Mac OS (it was Mavericks) is far better in my opinion. There are tousands of little things I saw which are made better for user... And design and overall elegance cannot be compared. I have these feelings years before, when I buy my first android note3 phone and also have troubles going back to windows interface.

9. leenak macrumors 68020

The mouse acceleration is different but you can adjust it in the settings menu.
    I think the finding is different but that is part of getting used to the OS. Since Windows 7, Finding to me on Windows has been frustrating. I can find stuff much easier on OS X than I can on Windows.
    And I'm not sure what the snap feature is on windows but someone said there is an OS X equivalent on the recommended apps thread.

I think it depends on your usage and what not but I like the OS X UI more than Windows. I have to use Windows for work and used Windows as my primary home computer up until 2.5 years ago. As someone who has used every version of Windows from 3.1 on, I'd say I think OS X is a better OS. I know some people like Windows but if you are coming from Windows, I'd say at least try to get used to the OS. It has a lot of nice features that Windows just doesn't have and due to many people from Windows coming to OS X, you can probably find an app that mimics behavior that you like in Windows.