Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkpink1434

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hi Everyone,

I just got a stainless steel series 2 Apple watch :)
I just want to make sure before and after going into the ocean, shower, pool etc. that I'm not going to ruin the watch.

What do I have to do to make sure nothing happens? The apple store associate told me I don't have to do anything with the watch that I just clean it off after.. I'm a little skeptical but if it's that easy then I'm happy!

If you could help me out before I dunk my watch that'd be great...thank you!!!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I just want to make sure before and after going into the ocean, shower, pool etc. that I'm not going to ruin the watch.

What do I have to do to make sure nothing happens? The apple store associate told me I don't have to do anything with the watch that I just clean it off after.. I'm a little skeptical but if it's that easy then I'm happy!

Here's more information on the water lock feature and water resistance.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
While some people have swam or showered a lot with their first-gen Apple Watches with no problems, this is not recommended by Apple since it's technically only splash-proof.

The S2 Apple Watches are rated for 50 meters, so you shouldn't have any problems using them in the pool. As mentioned above, you don't have to do anything before submerging the watch, although you can manually activate Water Lock which basically locks the screen so that the screen won't respond to inputs it may detect by water droplets. I believe Water lock is automatically activated if you start a swim workout.

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
My buddy has gone surfing with his and we have been snorkeling and hes always in the pool and no probs on the first gen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My buddy has gone surfing with his and we have been snorkeling and hes always in the pool and no probs on the first gen.

Some first GEN Apple Watches have experienced water failure when submerged and others have not. But in any case, it's not rated for water submersion. The first generation Apple Watch is rated for a splash resistant at IPX7.

Last edited:

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Some first GEN Apple Watches have experienced water failure when submerged and others have not. But in any case, it's not rated for water submersion. The first generation Apple Watch is rated for a splash resistant that IPX7.
So I was talking to this friend last night and he said he wasn't worried about it, he sprayed it with something to help protect it and he has a new one just in case it did fail. He has money like that. lol

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I was talking to this friend last night and he said he wasn't worried about it, he sprayed it with something to help protect it and he has a new one just in case it did fail. He has money like that. lol

He "Sprayed" his Apple Watch with something? How would that be any benefit for increasing water resistance/waterproofing. I have never heard of that before.

Last edited:

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
He "Sprayed" his Apple Watch with something? How would that be any benefit for increasing water resistance/waterproofing. I have never heard of that before.
It is some silicon thing that his company designs in Palo Alto, it makes electronics submersible. I don't know how much it is or much more about it other than it is pretty cool. They just got a contract with the gov he said.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I just spent one week at the beach and went swimming with the S2 SS watch on both, the hotel pool and sea. You can wear it as normal as ever, but you have to rinse it with tap water (I actually used bottled water), dry it with a towel softly and leave it charging overnight to help the heat evaporate anything inside if any. You might notice the speaker to sound muffled but it is normal after you eject the water. I did this like 20 times just to be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.