Exact alternatives to Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bantlord, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bantlord macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am desperate to load XP on my mac. As i am sure you are all aware, boot camp has expired. I am looking for alternate software but I don't want something like parallels which runs both at the same time. I will be running memory hungry programs on windows and I am certain running both at the same time will significantly affect performance. I want something that will let me decide what os to open when i turn my comp on. Does an alternative exist?

Thanks for your help, I did search but nothing suggesting such an alternative came up it all talks about programs that let you run both simultaneously.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Dont think there are any other solutions,the only one as OllyW stated is buying
    leopard and using bootcamp 2.0

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

5. bantlord thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so basically i am going to have to buy the new 10.5.....

would you say that the new features are actually worth upgrading for???

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

you live and learn

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think so, if possible check out 10.5 on a Mac (a friend's/in an Apple store/etc) to see if its worth your money :)

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I would say yes, time machine,spaces etc

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

9. bigiffo macrumors member

Just make a new partition and boot up on the Windows disc and install that way! Get the drivers from somewhere. (If anyone knows how i can upload 400mb I can put it on the web.)

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

That depends on your needs. I upgraded to Leopard on the day it came out, and it's worked well for me. Other posters here have reported some incompatibilities with some applications, but my needs are pretty basic. As to the new features, I haven't used them much. I use SuperDuper instead of Time Machine. Spaces is a cool concept, but I have plenty of monitor real estate (two 30" ACD's) so I don't use it. They say there are 300+ new features, but many/most of those are revisions and enhancements to existing features. I do use Boot Camp a lot for running Windows-only games and it works extremely well. Worth the price of the upgrade to me.

Go to http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html and review the features relative to your needs. Leopard is a good OS, but whether its new features are worth it to you is something only you can determine. IMHO, if you have a pressing need for natively running Windows, then yes, Leopard is worth buying for Boot Camp alone.

11. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I think that Time Machine alone is worth the price of the upgrade. It's a dramatic improvement over the pre-Leopard backup options like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Seems like in your case access to boot camp would make it worth it. On top of that, there are other things. Spaces is my favorite, and I believe has increased productivity.

13. boast macrumors 65816

boast

you could get bootcamp from softpedia. Set your date back, and partition your drive. Then torrent the latest drivers.