Carrier Exact date ATT ended tablet upgrade option on Next

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maltoo2, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Maltoo2 macrumors member

I bought an Air last year on next and I am pretty sure I got in before the change but ATT is saying I have to pay my AIR off before I can trade it or upgrade.

Does anyone know the exact date ATT changed the rules on tablets?

TIA

2. Maltoo2 thread starter macrumors member

anyone? I ordered on Nov 15 and reading the posts on here it had not changed until after that time.

Does anyone know exact date or know who I can contact that might know?

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

When you go into your AT&T online account, check the upgrade option on that line ad it will tell you how much you need to pay to upgrade. I got mine last year when they launched and it's telling me I still have to pay $80 to or 2 more monthly payments before I can trade it in. You don't have to pay off your entire balance, but there is a certain amount that has to be paid off before they accept a trade in.

4. Maltoo2 thread starter macrumors member

When I do that I get this message: "Pay the remaining Installment Plan Contract to become upgrade eligible and own your device. " and this is pay off only not pay and upgrade

I know I ordered before they changed the plan. I did not receive it until Dec 5th but I ordered on Nov.15.

5. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Mine says that my plan is Next 12, and just this past week got a message that I am upgrade eligible, but it says that I have to go into a store to do the upgrade. I have an iPad Air, but I am not sure the specific date I received it.

6. Maltoo2 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know who I can contact at ATT about this. The store was no help!

7. SqB macrumors 6502

This is how mine looks...

Upgrade Eligibility

Congratulations! This line is eligible for an upgrade with the trade in of the current installment billed device.

Trade In Eligible
    Your device is currently upgrade-eligible with a trade-in.

Pay Off Amount: $332.00
    Pay this amount to become upgrade-eligible and keep your device.

This tells me I have 2 options. Upgrade by trading in or pay off to upgrade and keep the iPad.

Is this what it looks like when you check upgrade eligibility?

8. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I've done some checking. I activated my Air on Nov. 1st 2013, and received a Next 12 contract. From the research on the web that I have done, it looks like sometime around Nov. 15th AT&T removed the Next wording from the iPad contracts, and possibly for up to a few days later people were still able to get Next in stores, but not online. It looks like the op might have been right on the line or just missed it. I think what I would do if I were him is go back to my original confirmation email from that time, and see if the wording refers to a Next contract. If so, he might have some proof to go to AT&T to request the upgrade.

9. gmikesell macrumors regular

Preview
    Here's what Att faq has to say:

"get a new tablet with the program?

If you purchased a tablet with an AT&T Next installment plan (prior to Nov. 20, 2013), you can trade in the tablet for a new tablet after you have made 12 installment payments, but before you have made 20 installment payments, if your wireless account is in good standing. The tablet must be fully functional and in good physical condition. Your new tablet can be purchased with a new installment plan or any other currently available offers. Tablets purchased on or after Nov. 20, 2013, are not eligible for AT&T Next trade-ins."

Ref: https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/modals/next-faqs.html

10. Zeos macrumors 6502

11. Maltoo2, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

Maltoo2 thread starter macrumors member

THANK YOU!!!!! :p I will head out to the store with that info :D

Update: Just checked and I kept the email confirmation! Thank my lucky stars on that one, because the ATT store tried to tell me I ordered it on Dec 5th (the day I finally received it) I am excited to upgrade to the new AIR. YAY

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I had same thing when I called AT&T they told me I can't upgrade when I had Next plan last year so I went to AT&T store and asked reps they check my account and they said I am ready for upgrade now so I ordered for upgrade last week anyway. Reps on the phone is not very honest anymore. :apple:

13. Maltoo2, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

Maltoo2 thread starter macrumors member

So do you just order your new one and turn in the old when the new one comes in?

UPDATE:

Went to ATT store at first they tried to tell me I was not eligible again. But thanks to you gmikesell I was prepared with copy of my order confirmation and the a copy of the above link to show them.

It took me about 2 hours but I have a 128g Gold iPad Air 2 on order. Will keep you updated on what happens next.

The problem with my acct showing up not eligible was that since I did not receive my AIR until Dec 5th and activated it that date, the ATT computer is showing I missed the Nov.20 cut off which is not the case since I ordered on Nov. 15.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Hi Maltoo2
    They ordered it for me but it will not available until next month before Christmas and they told me when it arrives I have to turn in my iPhone 5S. So yeah. :apple:

15. Maltoo2 thread starter macrumors member

Ordered mine on Friday and fully expected a long wait but got shipping info about an hour ago.

tracking has not updated so not sure when to expect it yet.

Will post what happens when I go to pick it up.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Same here it says "Preparing to ship" and the date of arrival is 12-12 to 12-23. :apple:

17. Maltoo2 thread starter macrumors member

Picked my new iPad Air 2 up on Monday. Love it even though it does vibrate a little when volume is on 1/2 way full.