Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
since this internet browser would probably be the main reason for me to consider an iPod Touch, I want to make sure I know what Im getting into.

I want to know exact difference between mobile version and desktop version of safari. What are things that I can't do with mobile version that I can with desktop browser?

Whoever have experience with iPod Touch, or iPhone, please help me out.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
since this internet browser would probably be the main reason for me to consider an iPod Touch, I want to make sure I know what Im getting into.

I want to know exact difference between mobile version and desktop version of safari. What are things that I can't do with mobile version that I can with desktop browser?

Whoever have experience with iPod Touch, or iPhone, please help me out.

No Flash, no WMV, no Java.

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
No Flash, no WMV, no Java.

IMO no big deal.

99% of flash content on the web is ads anyway (Biggest flash site is youtube which works fine on ipod because of the app). Hardly use sites that require java. Screw WMV

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
i read somebody mentioned about ricktext input? any detail?

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
i read somebody mentioned about ricktext input? any detail?

Did you mean Rich Text?

If so I heard MobileSafari was having problems with that in Gmail...
Easily fixed with PLain Text setting. Annoying, but not really a big deal. Just can have pretty font or bold letters on the ipod/iphone

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
how about those dynamic drop down menus that show up when you move mouse on it?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
whats that..i hope this isnt a dumb question//:confused:

Different video codec. Apple made a deal with YouTube and they're double-encoding all their video so that it's also available in an iPhone + AppleTV friendly h.264 codec. The bonus is that quality is way better.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
whats that..i hope this isnt a dumb question//:confused:

h264 is a video compression codec. It's what Apple uses to compress the TV shows and movies they sell in the iTMS and it's one of the formats used to compress video on HD-DVD and BluRay.

It's also the format that YouTube uses to store all (well, at least all the new stuff, maybe all of everything now) of their videos. The Flash player is a h264 decoder/controller, so Apple has a deal with YouTube to just send the h264 file to the iPod touch/iPhone and let the built in player do the decoding/controlling.

Adobe is move ALL Flash video to be stored in h264 with a recent update to Flash. Hope that explains it.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Different video codec. Apple made a deal with YouTube and they're double-encoding all their video so that it's also available in an iPhone + AppleTV friendly h.264 codec. The bonus is that quality is way better.

oh, thank you...i never knew that.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

Sorry for the double post, but I'm betting that YouTube is using the h264 version of the video for both functions. Flash has officially started using h264 for all Flash video, and I bet that YouTube was in on this deal early, since it's got to be the single biggest user of flash (not in complexity, but in just raw number of users that are required to have flash).

I suspect that they started using h264 for all new videos back when the deal with the AppleTV was announced and ran a massive conversion on the old stuff some time after that. It only makes sense since Adobe is dumping FLV and adopting h264...

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
guys, please focus on my question, thanks

whoever needs to know the knowledge of codecs, please search wikipedia :D

another Q

how about download? is it allowed? if so, where do the files go?

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
thanks

again, anybody can tell me if its possible to download any thing in mobileSafari

caMi

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
thanks

again, anybody can tell me if its possible to download any thing in mobileSafari

I think that is a no. Unless it is a .pdf or .doc, etc.

Edit: It seems like you are in need of an ultra portable laptop, not an iPod...

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
guys, please focus on my question, thanks

whoever needs to know the knowledge of codecs, please search wikipedia :D

another Q

how about download? is it allowed? if so, where do the files go?
Jeez, touchy much?

Sorry mate, you can't ask that second question, we're too busy focussing on your first one which we already answered with the very first reply.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I was just asking the questions of basic functions I would need on a PDA. Since eventually I would hope this can replace my palm T|X, starting with a browser that can do some basic jobs I would need.

So far, download is a problem..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.