exact dimensions of macbook pro retina screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dtbain, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Dtbain macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide whether I can manage with a macbook pro retina 15.4 screen as against a 17 inch screen for photo editing.

Just so I can get a sense of how much small it will be (albeit with the extra pixels) than my current screen, can someone tell me the exact width and height of the screen in mm (NOT the laptop itself, but the screen)?

Thanks very much

All best

David

2. sabbyp macrumors regular

the max resolution (1920 x 1200 supported by apple) and therefore workspace of the 15" retina screen is the same as the native resolution 17" cMBP screen.

However, using quickres or a similar app, you can give the rMBP a max resolution of 2880 x 1800, which gives a much larger workspace. You'll be squinting on photoshop or other editing programs though!

Personally I find the 17" machine far too large and heavy, and in general prefer the retina screen without question!

3. Dtbain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's very helpful. Two things, though:

1. I know it's an odd question, but can you give me the screen dimensions in mm (horizontal and vertical, just the screen, not the laptop)? Pythagoras would allow me to work it out from the diagonal, but only if I knew either the height or width!

2. I was surprised that the max resolution apple supports is 1920 x 1200, which is the same as my Dell Inspiron 1720, which is indeed a heavy brick, but which I've liked for photo editing over the years. Do know whether I could use Lightroom at the higher 2880 x 1800 resolution?

Thanks again for all your help

David

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

In full screen mode according to my rudimentary measurement I have 332mm x 204mm displayed. Though the actual screen is bigger than that the black border around the outside reduces the usable field.

I too came from a 17" screen and the physical size of the rMBP was a shock in the flesh. It's absolutely fine for my use but I don't do any photo/video editing.

You can use other resolutions which will give more screen "real estate".

5. ElderBrE macrumors regular

ElderBrE

You can use any applications at 2880 x 1800, but your eyes will squint at text. It will be very small.