Exactly how much will iPhone cost?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cc82793, Jul 19, 2009.

1. cc82793 macrumors newbie

So I'm purchasing a 16gb black iPhone 3GS soon and exactly how much will it cost me? I know the phone is $199, plus tax. But I read there is some kind of upgrade or activation fee. Is there? Is there anyone here that remembers exactly how much they paid at the store when buying their phone?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If you are not an AT&T user then you will pay $199 for the phone +tax, an activation charge of $40 and then your monthly rate. I pay $103/month.

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

If you have a FAN/Premier account, activation can be waived. Activation is $36 for the first line, $26 for consecutive lines.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you are a current at&t customer, but outside of contract, there is an $18 upgrade fee, instead of the activation fee.

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

What is this FAN/Premier acct you speak of? I want an iPhone, as soon as Verizon cuts my chains next year.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

FAN/Premier accounts are the Business center for AT&T. If you are a student or you have a company email, check to see if you are eligible to receive discounts from this link. Enter your email address at the right.

Right now it seems like USPS and HP receive the highest discounts at 28%. For universities it varies. Luckily, being an NYU grad student, I get 20% off voice and data plans. University of Florida is 15%, Tulane is only 5%, a few Cali schools dropped to 5% and University of Miami is 10% with bonus text messages (sorry ranting on here).

So if you are eligible, you will receive an email from AT&T asking you to click on a link. Find the link to 'Current Offers' and that should tell you the % discount for your particular company/school.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

Not all FANs waive activation fees. You have to check to see if your particular FAN allows it.

8. cc82793 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 2g and am just upgrading. Do I have to pay the $40 activation fee? Or just an $18 upgrade fee?

9. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

If you're an existing AT&T subscriber, it sounds like you'll only be paying the $18 upgrade fee.

10. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Awesome! Looks like I qualify. Thank you.