Exactly HOW strong is the unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Mar 1, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

I have a Unibody Macbook Pro, and usually I take it places in my briefcase, which is fairly large. However sometimes it would be nicer to have something smaller to put it in. If I were to buy a Incase sleeve for my MBP, (http://goincase.com/products/detail/15-neoprene-sleeve-cl57256/2) and it were dropped 3-5', would that put a dent into it or cause serious damage? Lets say it were being dropped on tile.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm not sure, but I would think a 3'-5' drop for any MBP with a sleeve on it, would cause some damage. I'm certainly not the one to ask, b/c I've never dropped any of my MBs, *knock on wood* and I'm certainly not going to go out and test my luck. I've always used Case Logic neoprene sleeves on all of my MBs and have felt pretty confident that they are well protected, but I'm not sure about a drop of 3'-5'...:eek:

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, it will dent. Aluminum is very soft. It's just barely hard enough that you can't scratch it with your fingernail. I have a dented palmrest edge from a similar scenario. Trust me, these things are sturdy, but they aren't armor-plated.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm curious why you thought a thin piece of neoprene would protect something from a 3'+ drop.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Surely you are not serious with that question.

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

It would protect against scratch, not so much for dent.

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Was talking about this in another thread the other day,
    If you know anyone who can sew , ask them to make a sleeve up for you , very easy to do really , just buy some 7mm neoprene or material of choice and insert some Kevlar or carbon fiber material into the case when it is being made, sandwich it in the center sort of thing .

there you go, a really individual protective case for probably less than you could buy one, mind you when I get mine made it'll cost me in chocolate presents as well as material costs . Queenie likes her chocs

aluminium is not very strong , easy dents , scratches etc

8. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Very Strong structurally. However it's still aluminum so it could get dents.

9. semitry macrumors member

Not at all, way too many people denting their unibodies from drops where other laptops (at least thinkpads) would be fine.

10. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

11. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

12. allanibanez macrumors regular

Yep, aluminium is very soft. I dropped some nail clippers on my MBP yesterday and the dam things chipped it! Oh well, first of many battle scars i imagine.

13. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

neoprene cases protect against banging it against a door that you walk through, dropping something on it etc. Things that happen more regularly.

I would have thought if you dropped it 5' even in your briefcase it could be damaged internally by the deceleration at the end of the drop.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Someone reported here 1-2 weeks ago that when he was attacked, his MacBook/MBP suffered a dent despite being in an InCase neoprene sleeve. ;)

If it was inside one of those foam sleeves that absorb impact really well, then it would survive a fall. My laptop has hit the ground from around 3 feet, and it was absolutely fine in the sleeve. If you saw how well my STM sleeve was designed, and how well the spongy material absorbed strong pressure by deforming, you'd probably be confident enough to drop it more than once, and from higher than 3 feet. ;)

That was a MacBook though. I've also dropped my old 12" PowerBook, but that was only from the seat of my chair.

15. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

i just bought a tumi case.. i heard their cases have the laptop suspended so that it wont be all the way at the bottom of the case.. hence if the case drops its not going to get direct impact.

16. California macrumors 68040

California

I dropped my original pb 12" without the superdrive 1.5ghz TWICE from three or four feet in a zeroshock case... granted it landed flat, but NO DAMAGE.

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Hopefully if I dropped my Air it would float gently to the ground :p

18. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

Yes, it will dent like madness. My friend and I both got our unibodies when they were released and every time she would come in for production I would notice new dents in hers. I never asked her about them as I didn't want to freak her out, but I can only imagine them coming from how she puts her bag down, as she definitely isnt the type to abuse her stuff. It was an odd dent by the battery indicator, as if she put the laptop on it's side on top of something that caused the indention.

19. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

i use 2 sleeves for my mbp, ive dropped it from about 4 foot and it was fine :D very impressed.

20. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

2 sleeves at the same time?

21. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is STM? is that a brand of some sort?