Exactly what cable do I need to connect MBP to TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petrucci666, Dec 22, 2009.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I am trying to connect my MBP to my TV via HDMI and I obviously I need a MiniDisplay to HDMI cable, but I'm confused with the whole "female-male" cable stuff and I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

I need to buy it off of eBay because I live in Croatia and I couldn't find it in any of the local stores...can anyone help me?

Thanks!

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The mini Displayport to HDMI cable should be male on both ends.

If its a mini Displayport (Male) to HDMI (female), then you would need an additional HDMI cable, male on both ends.

You will also need a cable for transporting audio. You can use the audio output jack on the computer, or you can buy a cable which combines mini Displayport for video and usb for audio and converts them to HDMI.

The decision of whether to use usb or the audio output jack should be based on whether you intend to use your TV's speakers and whether your TV's HDMI input(s) have analog audio inputs(red and white, stereo audio inputs).

3. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought it would be, I was just making sure. I'll be using my home theater speakers via the audio jack on the MBP so no worries about audio!

4. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

go to monoprice.com for the mini display port to HDMI cable.