Exactly when will the iMac be open for ordering?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WizardHunt, Oct 14, 2014.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

How many of you out there think that Apple is having this event on a Thursday so they can open up the iMac for ordering on Friday? Any ideas on other times or do you agree with me? I am of course speaking of the 2014 iMac

2. wmy5 macrumors regular

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

The last two iMac redesigns were announced several weeks before they were able to be pre-ordered and months before they were available (i.e. Late 2009 and late 2012). If it is just a spec bump, then probably right away. If they are truly the 4k-5K iMac, then my guess is there will be a several month delay before they ship.

4. FredT2 macrumors 6502

Oh I sure hope not. I'm ready now!

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

2012 iMac's (when they went to the super thin design), were announced at the end of October, pre-order wasn't until the end of November (or was it December 1st) and they weren't readily available until January 2013....

The 2009's followed much the same path (when the 21's and 27's were first released). I believe preorders were allowed almost from the get go, but I know I had to wait for my Late 2009 i5 quad core until late January 2010 and I ordered mine at the end of November.

6. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

So it's going to be basically a Early 2015 iMac than a Late 2014 iMac. Meaning we would be getting no real iMac updates at all this year. :eek:

7. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I'm still hoping that a 4K/5K iMac is announced, but I asked my Business rep when I was at my local Apple store today about ordering one if they open up on Thursday. He seemed pretty adamant that they're not going to announce a new iMac or any desktop for that matter. Needless to say we've got a little bet going on so we'll see who wins. (BTW he pulled up MacRumors on a 27" iMac in the store because he told me he hadn't seen any leaks about a new iMac. I just thought I'd share that. :D)

8. Ryand123 macrumors member

With all due to respect to Apple Store geniuses, asking them about upcoming Apple products is probably about the same as asking Moe the bartender what Duff Beer's next big product will be.

9. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Agreed. That's why I was willing to take his bet. :D

10. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I certainly hope not either. That would be terrible and not really a 2014 release if they let it go to past Dec 31st. There is some strange reason that they are having this event on a Thursday instead of a Tuesday like normal. I was really counting on a Friday pre-order with a delivery time of under 2 weeks maybe at most.:rolleyes:

----------

There may have been more security regarding the iMac's this year but keep in mind that many publishers are predicting that there will be a 5K iMac this event. I still see that happening. And I am willing to take that bet as well that there will be a new iMac that is 4/5k Retina... probably a 5K model. Whose with me?

----------

I tend to agree too!!! :D The new iMac's will be announced Thursday.

11. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I was just reading on Apple Insider and they published an article about the new iMacs coming out, and they seem to think that Apple is indeed releasing a 5K iMac and that it will be delivered sometime before the end of 2014 but announced on Thursday Oct 16, 2014. One can hope that once they open the pre-orders that it will not take weeks to get our iMacs. Usually in the past every time I ordered a iMac it has taken a average of about 3-4 weeks before it was delivered. I hope this time around it is a lot faster than that. ;)

12. Roller macrumors 68020

The AppleInsider article refers to a report from Ming-Chi Kuo that says that the 27" iMac will ship this year. The 5K part just reiterates rumors in September, which were from a less reliable source. We'll see tomorrow. Anyway, I have a feeling that this will be similar to the late 2012 iMac and that it'll take awhile for delivery. I admit that I'm more curious about this announcement than I was about the iPhone 6. :)

13. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I would suspect its going to be a few weeks from the announcement, sadly! Based on earlier experiences.

But, I sincerely hope that what happened in 2012 isnt up for repetition. ...when the rumors were on/off if apple would even release the machine until the very last minute...and 9to5 mac even said, they were not ready for release, ad Apple were actually considering not announcing them all up to an hour before the event. Apple then said December release, even if they announced it in october, so you couldnt actually order an iMac on the Apple website for more than 2 months. And then of course, it was released in the very last days of december. I hope this is not the case this time around though, it would be very annoying, and I wouldnt think thats something Apple want for themselves either.

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I'm just hoping that if they are announced that they'll start taking orders on Thursday or Friday. That way I can ensure I get one for launch.

16. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah like they know anything. Usually they know less than the common apple fan. And actually 90% of the people inside the apple main campus don't know if there's an iMac coming tomorrow or not. Apple store employees have proved to say stupid and inaccurate things countless times.

17. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Well in about 24 hours we will know what will happen and when. I can't wait, and I hope those who are looking to buy a new iMac with Retina don't have to wait long to get it shipped to us.

18. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I hope the same

19. leenak macrumors 68020

The front page news story makes it seem like December is more likely but who knows. I'd like an iMac in the next couple weeks but I'll wait.

20. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I'm like you, I am willing to wait even though I wish we did not have to but we must do what we must to get what we want as they say.;)

----------

Man, I hope it's not until December for shipping.. that would be awful. But what can we do? Nothing but wait and hope that it will ship sooner. If end of Oct seen shipments then I think that would make us all happy.

21. Outrigger, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

much like the 2012 imac redesign, assuming the retina part is true, then thats a major hardware design vs a simple spec bump, I will bet the farm you're not gonna be able to just order it the next day and have it delivered in a couple of weeks. most likely won't be able to order til next month or later. of course, it won't matter who tells you how soon or late you can order, gotta wait from the horse's mouth.

EDIT: I'm really surprised, order right away. nice job.