Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
How in depth do you examine your new MBP? Aside from the software and the screen issues, do you examine the chasis and casing, as well as the craftsmanship of your laptop? If theres something slightly off, do you shrug it off? And, what have you shrugged off?

Thanks! (I'm just curious if I'm being too picky!)

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
How in depth do you examine your new MBP? Aside from the software and the screen issues, do you examine the chasis and casing, as well as the craftsmanship of your laptop? If theres something slightly off, do you shrug it off? And, what have you shrugged off?

Thanks! (I'm just curious if I'm being too picky!)

Too picky? What did you find wrong?

From what I see repeatedly on the forums, it's
1) yellow screens
2) heat dissipation/fan noise
3) dead pixels
4) misaligned keys

That's not to say any of these problems were endemic to the MBP, but they were more frequent than a few cases. One and Two would bug me enough to go get a replacement or a fix, but I have one dead pixel and it doesn't bug me too much. I usually forget about it until it gets brought up.

There are a lot of perfectionists, and not meaning to offend anyone, but I've seen a few on this forum. In the end, it's how you use your MBP not the image (of perfection) it imparts on you... Unless you're in L.A. :D

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Its basically a few areas on the casing:

Left portion of laptop when open near speaker grill is ever so slightly un even with plastic piece. (found by running my hand along it)

Bottom right portion of laptop is tiny bit raised off of desk when open. Noticed this...don't remember how....I think I was admiring it.

Back henge on the left and right sides don't seem to exactly line up with screen, but then again this "imperfection" is semetrical and leaves me to believe its not a manufacturing flaw, its just as-is.

Incredibly picky? Yes. But when building models, or hand drafting, or doing anything for school (Architecture) I'm a perfectionist, and so I notice EVERYTHING :(:) which is a blessing and a curse. And I just love admiring Apple's design.

lauph

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
30 mins from Cupertino
ah i think im one of the better people to reply you.

i ahve returned 2 MBPs and this one i am typing on is going back and the replacement is shipping already.

Things i looked out for

Dead pixels
Leaking colour filter for the pixels
Bleeding backlight
Is the yellowing serious
Curved lid
Keys alignment
gaps between aluminium and the grey plastic lining
any bumps/dents
sleep/wake
CD/DVD read
ports
isight
how well the magnetic latch falls down, does it close and lock tight?

yea other physical stuff

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Physical imperfections, aside from glaring technical issues such as screen discolouration/dead pixels, are completely subjective. One persons 'perfect' MBP could be a disaster for somebody else.

You need to decide to what extent physical attributes of your MBP determine it as yours, as a unique machine. For example, my up arrow key isn't quite straight. That's just my machine. Everything works fine, and this minor imperfection certainly doesn't warrant any attempt at repair.

If you're not happy, and you don't think you ever will be, then back to Apple it is :)

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
The problem for me is this:

Despite how amazing anything can be, I would guess that everything has its own personal "characteristics," little imperfections that naturally happen:

Hiccup in the softare that normally runs flawlessly, an incredibly small warp of the computer, slightly missaligned keys. There is so much room for error, that I would think even the small "flaws" would be easy to over look.

I'm picky, and I guess I'm wanting to be assured that keeping this MBP is good, and that my personal issues of the small things I've found are actually just OCD.

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
UPDATE:

I realized I wasn't being too picky after talking to another Mac owner today. I realized originally I was needing reinforcement to return the MBP, then I convinced myself I was good with this....

....then after talking I realized I was right from the beginning. The MBP is supposed to be the top of the line ("Pro") level laptop from Apple and I should expect nothing less than that.

The MBP sits level when closed...when opened the base only touches the table at three points...unacceptable!

Tomorrow (today) [Tuesday] I'm calling and sending it back! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.