exceeding a Time Capsule's capacity

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bad Paper, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

I have 150GB on a 1TB drive. What happens when I hook up a 500GB Time Capsule? Sure, it will handle the 150GB fine, but over time...

Once I have, say, 750GB on the source drive, which files are on the TC? The most newly updated? Or does it just stop entirely, in the name of maintaining a backup of the files that have been there all along?

2. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

You can open up the Time Machine preferences and choose what folders you don't want backed up. That is decent if you only have a 250 GB internal like I have, however, my TM backup is also 250 GB, so I've been having some alerts pop up about "the TM backup failed". I probably need to just buy a larger TM backup, probably 500 GB.

3. Bad Paper thread starter macrumors 6502

so if you fill the drive, further backups fail? That's kind of...ass. OK, thanks. I guess they had to pick one way or the other.

4. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I've wondered about that too. I was backing up about 75g of data to a 250gb drive using Time Capsule. Eventually, I started getting the "backup failed" messages. I'd assumed TC would simply delete the oldest backup to make room for the latest, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Does Time Capsule expect you to have unlimited backup capacity?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah

Did you format your HD to HFS+ like it said to?