Excel 08

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jturn241, May 28, 2012.

1. jturn241 macrumors member

I'm trying to open 10-Qs from the SEC. Every time I download then attempt to open it says unable to read file. They are .xls files.

I am currently running OS X 10.5.8

2. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

How about a link to one, that we can try to open?

3. jturn241 thread starter macrumors member

4. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

is it Financial Report.xls dated May 4th 2012?

----------

also is this problem repeating with other company reports; or just this one?

5. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

I think you are clicking the wrong place. Continuing down, you can click on documents and they will appear in the web browser: DO NOT CLICK ON THE WORDS "VIEW EXCEL DOCUMENT"

Attached Files:

6. jturn241 thread starter macrumors member

I want to bring the data into excel to analyze it. Opening it on the webpage itself doesn't really help me.

7. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Even though when you click and download, they come down as .xls files; they are really formatted for web browser viewing, and not importing into Excel.

I can think of three options:

1. Contact the SEC and see if there is a true xls download link;

2. Highlight the document, copy and paste it into MS word and save as a TEXT file and then attempt to open it in Excel and see if it will properly use its IMPORT tool; and/or

3. See if there is a MIME to xls conversion tool. You might want to repost the newly updated question in Mac Applications instead of in Hardware/MacBook, so that you get a more defined audience.

GOOD LUCK!