excel 2004 data filter doesn't sort entire list

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mary86004, Mar 17, 2012.

1. mary86004 macrumors member

I am filtering a mailing list of 4709 addresses. I selected a cell in the column that I want to filter, went to data and then filter. I clicked custom filter and gave a city I wanted it to filter by. It only filtered the fist 3483 entries on the list. Then it left a blank line and the entries up to 4709 were unfiltered. Why is it doing this? How can I get it to filter the whole list?

I have done the same thing in other excel documents that were mailing lists and it filters the whole list.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Have you tried to manually select the entire list? Then use the Data>Sort feature to select sort columns.

3. mary86004 thread starter macrumors member

I mean Filter, not sort

Thanks for your quick reply.

First of all I typed Sort and I meant Filter. I don't think it matters to your reply.

I am not quite sure what you mean. I selected the entire page so it was highlighted then went to Data and then filter. It still only sorted the first 3483.
    Then I highlighted the column I was filtering and then went to Data and filter and it still did not do the whole list.

Is this what you meant?

I want to get my mailing out and am thinking I could cut the mailing list in half and do it as two chunks and see what would happen. Still I wish I knew the right way.

Also I selected the entire document and copied and pasted the text into a new worksheet hoping it would not carry forward the problem to a new document but it only filtered the first 3484 again.

4. iSaint, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Try to manually select only the part of the sheet where the data is. Start in the uppermost left cell, then scroll (or goto) the lowermost right cell, press SHIFT (not control) then click on that cell. It should highlight the entire selection of data.

Sometimes trying the simple method of selecting the entire sheet or one cell doesn't work.

It should be the same for filter or sort.

Is there a piece of data missing on row 3484 that might cause it to believe it's the end?

5. mary86004 thread starter macrumors member

solved! yea!

I looked for something missing like you suggested. Not in line 3484 but about 4 rows down there was a blank row. I deleted it. Now it is filtering the entire list. Thank you so much for the help! What a relief. I spent 5 hours trying to figure it out yesterday and ...

never mind. Thank you so much. Your advice was perfect.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint