Excel 2008 for Mac save dialogue box too big

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobsavs, Nov 7, 2009.

1. bobsavs macrumors newbie

New to Mac and new to Office 2008. When i try to save an excel file once I click the little upside down triangle to choose where the file should save to the dialogue box which opens is larger than the screen with the save box to the right of the screen. How do i resize this so that I can see, and use, the whole dialogue box ?

Thanks for your help,

Bob

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Have you adjusted your screen resolution to make everything appear larger?

3. bobsavs thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen resolution

No, I havent changed the resolution, set at 1920 x 1200. Macbook Pro, 17".

All other applications are ok,

Bob

4. bungopete macrumors newbie

Have you considered using Numbers

Bob
    Have you tried using Numbers, I find that it will do all the things you need to do without paying the Gates tax. Other than that wait for the next update it should fix it.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Actually it is easy enough to do with any application including and not an Office specific bug per se.

If you can't move the application to find the bottom right corner one thing you could try is to change the resolution down when the save dialog is open, this generally forces application windows to resize, I just tried it with Excel and switching resolutions down and then back again got the window back to a normal ish size.

6. bobsavs thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolution change no effect

I tried changing the resolution, made no difference.
    I can see the triangle at the bottom right to resize the application window, that isnt the problem.
    When I click "save as" the Save as dialogue box opens up, situated top middle of the application window. If I click the triangle next to the Save as file name the dialogue box expands horizontally larger than my screen obscuring the save and cancel tick buttons. I can click the Save as triangle again to reduce the size of the box but I should be able to save from the expanded box. (I can see the Cancel and Save buttons disappear off the right of the screen when it expands)

Bob

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, my Save dialog box is narrower by a little than the file window showing only one page. When I enlarge the file window to show two pages, the Save box remains the same size it was before. I think someone expanded that box too much and it just needs to be shrunk down again. Can you move the entire file window to the left until you can see the triangle to resize the dialog box? (Even if it means moving the left side of your file "offscreen".) If so, can you then resize the dialog box?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I meant change the resolution when the expanded save as window is open. I tested it on my computer after making the window too large it and forced it to a normal ish size.

9. bobsavs thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

Gregg, Thanks, this worked. I moved the file window off screen as you suggested and was able to re-size. Thanks for your help,

Bob

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Great, and you're welcome. Sometimes it takes someone else to suggest something simple when you're stuck. Happens to me all the time.