Excel 2008... Stupid Formula Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by firstapple, Apr 6, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Alright,

Hoping for some more help with my office problems.

Is there a way that I can always have the formula bar on, AND be the same darn size as my excel worksheet? Why are they not attached like in any other excel program??? If I maximize my excel sheet, the formula bar doesn't maximize with it.

Or maybe there is a way to "attach" it to the main excel window? Please help end my suffering.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think that it can "dock" if you drag it up to the bottom of the menu bar. I don't have a copy with me to check this out though. All I know is that it doesn't operate in a similar fashion to any other Excel - no idea why.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I can't figure out a way to do this.

The Formula Bar and toolbars seem to be independently owned and operated, and I can't get the Formula Bar to dock to the window. Customizing the toolbars doesn't give you an option for the Formula Bar.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Sadly it looks like the answer (after fiddling about for a while) would be to use Office 2007 on Windows for that functionality. Its something that you could live with is it not, just one of those small annoyances I guess...

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can add a floating formula bar to Excel like the others have said from the view menu but it takes up the whole screen and looks stupid on my 23" ACD.

i just type in the boxes and press enter to input the data/command. then when i want to change the data/command just double click on it. it even has a drop down menu for different functions after you type "=" then a letter. eg if you type "=A" you can select from a whole menu of functions with "=AVERAGE" as the top one.

its not like Office for Windows where once you enter data or a command into a box you have to edit it in the formula bar.