Excel 2011 Problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by docgerrard, Aug 11, 2011.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

I am having troubles with excel 2011.

Every time I open this file, I get a dialog box saying that budget.xlsx is already open and that reopening will cause any changes to be discarded.

Also, every time I close the excel, it prompts me to save changes, even if i immediately exit after opening the excel. i make no changes at all. and i did some research and read about certain volatile functions. and there are not any crazy functions at all besides sum, average, subtraction, etc.

I also noticed that when I make a new excel workbook, if I just input data, I do not get this saving problem. However, the instant I put a formula in there, like sum or average, the problem comes back and I get prompted to save even if i don't make any changes.

help please!

thank you!

2. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

New update.

If I have a workbook with 4 in cell a1, i can open and close without problems.
    but if i have a workbook with =2+2 in cell a1, i get the save prompt even if i immediately close it.

3. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Sound like you should repair it. Insert your CD and reinstall it - it may fix your problem.

Also, unless you want to get yelled at by the mods, don't make a new post everytime. Just edit your last one.

5. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

i don't have a cd, it is a volume license from my university.

and i tried reinstalling it!

the problem is with 2011 too. my university also offered 2008 so i tried that, it didn't do it. i just didn't like the interface!

thanks for your help though!

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Hmm not sure what else could fix your problem. I have 2008 but never use it... I like iWork a lot more so I only use that. 2008 rests on my computer for times when I need to open files which might get formatted differently in iWork.

7. Bernie van Zijl macrumors newbie

Having problems with Excel 2011

I ave problem - receive a message cannot find advapi32.dll file...can someone help?