Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Has anyone else experienced this:

when selecting cells to apply a function (such as average() or sum()), holding the command key and selecting cells results in really strange combinations of cells being selected, including seemingly random summations of cells?

To see this bug in action:

create an array with numbers in it in all the cells in A1: D5. Then do the function =average() in some other cell. Then, holding down the command key, drag-select the cells A1:C1. Still holding down the command key, then individually select cells A2 and B2. The function should now read:

=average(A1:C1,A2,B2

Now, continuing to hold down the command key, select cell C2. Now, you see the bug. The function should read =average(A1:C1,A2,B2,C2, but instead it reads something like:

=average(A1:C1,A2,B2+A1:C1,A2:B2,C2

This is really annoying to me! I have tried this on three separate macs, and it does this on all of them. Do you guys see this happening? Is there any way to fix it?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Has anyone else experienced this:

when selecting cells to apply a function (such as average() or sum()), holding the command key and selecting cells results in really strange combinations of cells being selected, including seemingly random summations of cells?

To see this bug in action:

create an array with numbers in it in all the cells in A1: D5. Then do the function =average() in some other cell. Then, holding down the command key, drag-select the cells A1:C1. Still holding down the command key, then individually select cells A2 and B2. The function should now read:

=average(A1:C1,A2,B2

Now, continuing to hold down the command key, select cell C2. Now, you see the bug. The function should read =average(A1:C1,A2,B2,C2, but instead it reads something like:

=average(A1:C1,A2,B2+A1:C1,A2:B2,C2

This is really annoying to me! I have tried this on three separate macs, and it does this on all of them. Do you guys see this happening? Is there any way to fix it?

buy iwork with their new speadsheet app number for $79, student discount is $71

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.