Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spica

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I save an Excel file in the documents folder but when I try to use finder to open up Documents. It's not inside.

I save it on desktop and there's no problems. But I when I drag it into the Documents folder it disappears again.

Help.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Spica said:
I save an Excel file in the documents folder but when I try to use finder to open up Documents. It's not inside.

I save it on desktop and there's no problems. But I when I drag it into the Documents folder it disappears again.

Help.
Two things: 1. Which Documents folder? There is a Documents folder for each account on your machine. You may also have a Documents folder on the root level of your hard drive. 2. I have noticed that the GUI in MacOS X does not show files immediately, even though the OS is aware of the file. If you don't see your file, don't panic. Within the Finder, go to File > Find.... If your file has been saved, then the Find... menu selection will reveal its location.

Spica

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
The default document folder, under the main admin profile.

The search can find the file but and it shows it to be in the correct document folder but that particular excel icon is not in the folder.

Spica

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Missing files and folders continues

Now after creating a new folder and naming it 'Accounts', it dissappears too!!! I did a search with finder and is able to find ti but it seems to be invisible under the documents folder.

Help?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
This sounds strange. I still guess MisterMe is right. How do you go to the Documents folder? Do you use the sidebar? Perhaps you should try to go Macintosh HD/Users/Your Account/Documents and have a look if the file is there. You should even do this when saving from Excel to make sure that you save to the right folder.

If all this doesn’t work, I would use the Terminal to go to the folder and list all entries including invisible files to see if this reveals it.

This gives me an idea: what name did you give your file? You did not start with a dot, did you? This would make the file invisible for the Finder.

Spica

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Veldek said:
This sounds strange. I still guess MisterMe is right. How do you go to the Documents folder? Do you use the sidebar? Perhaps you should try to go Macintosh HD/Users/Your Account/Documents and have a look if the file is there. You should even do this when saving from Excel to make sure that you save to the right folder.

If all this doesn’t work, I would use the Terminal to go to the folder and list all entries including invisible files to see if this reveals it.

This gives me an idea: what name did you give your file? You did not start with a dot, did you? This would make the file invisible for the Finder.

I used the sidebar. I tried going to Macintosh HD/Users/Your Account/Documents and it still doesn't show. It is only when I type in the name in the finder then it show it to be under Documents.

I did not start the name with a (.). At least the file name doesn't show that. How do I check?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.