Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmclaurin

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I believe you can use it to view documents for free, but you need an office 365 subscription to edit documents. Well worth it IMO.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
The one really nice feature that makes Office 365 worth it for me is that you get 1 TB of space on OneDrive. And unlike iCloud or many other cloud services, OneDrive supports versioning of files, meaning if you change a file and save it, you can always retrieve past versions of that file. Also, if you delete a file, it can be retrieved for up to 30 days.

Those features make it perfect for storing important files online without having to worry about backing them up on a daily basis.

Considering the price of Office 365 and the amount of OneDrive space they give you compared to other cloud services, I consider the Word/Excel/Powerpoint access a free extra bonus.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, something to do with office is only free for devices with screens smaller than 10". Ridiculous IMO.
I know, its crazy, a company charging for software - greedy ******** :p

Seriously, Office 365 is well worth the price if you need office apps on your laptop, tablet and/or phone. I have it, and while I prefer not paying, its paid for itself a number of times, given what I need to accomplish.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Is excel for ipad only available through office 365?

Or you can just use Numbers...

You can use the Microsoft Excel app to open, edit and create Excel files on iPhone, iPad (but not the Pro) but with limited functionalities. For a full featured Excel you need to have an Office365 subscription. Quote App Store description "On iPhone, iPad Air, and iPad mini, the core Excel experience, including viewing, creating, and editing spreadsheets, is free. Or unlock the full Excel experience with a qualifying Office 365 subscription. On iPad Pro, you need Office 365 to create and edit spreadsheets."

There is also a free app called hopTo (Office Cloud Editor & Viewer) which I stumbled on a while ago. That can also edit all kind of Office files including Excel. It also has the great option to open different document at once and switch between them via tabs from within the app.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.