EXCEL for Mac 2008 - Why so slow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fred Jones, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Fred Jones macrumors newbie

I'm a recent convert to Mac. I use a MACBOOK PRO with a clean install of 10.5 and Office for Mac 2008 (binary installation). My MBP has 4GHz of memory and 250 Gigabytes of RAM. iWork is also installed. I transferred some large Excel files from my IBM Thinkpad to my MBP so I can wean myself away from PCs. I've found that data and formula entry into my Xcel spreadsheets (some are 3 megabytes or more in size) is extremely slow (a single cell data entry can take up to 4 or 5 seconds response time). I've had the same issue with NUMBERS. One Apple "customer service" person said that it's because of the time required for caching and recovery copying. I'm having trouble believing this because all that activity can occur in the background. Another solution offered by a "customer service" rep in an Apple store said all I have to do is reinstall (this is a solution proffered by someone who doesn't want to be bothered or doesn't know the answer). Has anyone had this problem of slow response time with large spreadsheets? Is there a way to reduce the response time so I won't go bananas waiting to get control back from the MBP? Thanks for the help.

Fred

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85