Excel for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RealEyes, Aug 26, 2012.

1. RealEyes macrumors regular

WTH!?! Why can't I paste values?

I'm copying data from a webpage that contains links, colors, columns separated by gaps and when I go into Excel to paste ONLY the values, it wont let me. When I try to paste special - plain text, instead of keeping the formatting of rows and columns, it puts it all into one column with the data on different rows.

This does me no good. Whats the problem here?

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I never use the command, but Excel has a command that will split a column like yours into multiple columns--one for each value.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What site is it? How you paste and how it appears in Excel will vary, depending on the format of the page you're copying. I'll test it if you can provide a link. (if it's not private or proprietary)
    You may be thinking of the Text to Columns function, but it may not help if the web page isn't formatted properly for Excel.

4. RealEyes thread starter macrumors regular

It is private. It seems to work a little better when using chrome but, it just sucks that Excel is completely different on Win7.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Chrome and Safari are both WebKit browsers. As for Excel, my experience with Text to Columns is that it works the same on the Mac as on Windows.