Excel for PC reference books: okay for Excel 2011?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DanK104, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DanK104 macrumors member

I am using Excel 2011, and want to get a decent reference book. But all the Mac books I saw were "Office 2011" books, not specifically for Excel, so too general.

The Excel-specific books are all for PC. My question is: will those be good reference books to use, even though I am using the Mac version of Excel? I am aware of there being differences in keyboard-shortcuts and some menus.

Also any suggestions for an Excel reference book (if the answer to above question is "yes, go ahead and use a PC book")? I used to be quite good at Excel, using VBA, but it's been a while, but I want something at the intermediate level. I considered the Excel Bible, and Excel, the Missing Manual.

Also, would it make a difference if I get an Excel 2010 versus 2013 book? Is one version closer to Excel 2011 for Mac?

2. onekerato macrumors regular

Get the Excel 2010 book. It contains a few features like Pivot Charts and Sparklines which are not available on Excel 2011, but everything else about writing formulas and using VBA will apply. Pretty much all the new features in Excel 2013 are missing from Excel 2011 for Mac.

Since you knew Excel well at one point, why not just watch a couple of video tutorials from Lynda or InfiniteSkills? That will refresh your memory much faster, and you can google for specific help when required. IMHO the most important thing to take away from a video course is terminology. Then you know what to search for when you need it.

Lynda has a $25/month subscription plan and InfiniteSkills has $10/month subscription plan on iOS devices (with offline viewing.)