Excel formatting problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Luis Ortega, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I am using Excel 2008 for Mac and I have a database with a list of books with columns for title, author, publisher and date.
    They are not liked in any sort of formula since it is not a spreadsheet but rather a simple database.
    My problem is that I want to be able to reorganize the database by different column properties (such as seeing the list grouped by author or publisher or date as well as title) but the rows are not linked, so if I select a column to arrange alphabetically the other columns are not also rearranged and the row information is all screwed up.
    How can I set up the database so that I can organize it by different column properties and keep all of the columns correctly linked so that the info for each row remains correct?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just select all the rows and columns in the grid before you sort. Are you new to Excel, by any chance?

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but that makes no sense because when I select everything I can't then choose just one column to reorganize and if I select just one column, the other columns do not get reorganized when I reorganize the selected column.
    I am trying to use the sort ascending/descending menu buttons to reorganize the selected columns. Should I be using some other method to do what I want?

4. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nevermind, I figured it out.
    Apparently, I had to select just one cell in a column and then apply sorting in order to make all the other columns and rows keep their correct synch.
    Thanks for trying to help.