Excel help: different width columns.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleMatt, Apr 23, 2007.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I need a little help with Excel.

Basically I've got a landscape page, and the columns are different widths to accommodate the data. On the same page (when printed) however, I want a summary at the bottom. This requires different columns widths than the data above.

I know it can be done, but I can't find it. How can I insert another 'master row' in the middle of the sheet, so I can set differing column widths on the same page?

Thanks,
    AppleMatt

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm not an Excel guru by any means, but the only method I'm aware of for accomplishing this is using multiple columns and then merging cells in some of the rows.

Picture 1.png

Simply having columns where cells are different widths would cause problems with other columns lining up correctly.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

tru 'dat WildCowboy.

There's plenty of formatting options under Format>Cells that should allow you to create the report to view as you need, AppleMatt.

4. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

It's a good idea, but unfortunately the cells above are wider than the cells below.

Someone must have seen/used this feature before. It's like horizontally
    dividing the worksheet in two (but not just for viewing like the drag-button in the top right).

AppleMatt

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't understand why the same principle wouldn't apply. You just don't merge *all* of the columns into the summary column. You should be able to get the look you want.

The other option is to create two separate worksheets with the two sets of data. Then you create a report and you include the relevant portion of each worksheet as a section of the report. This is analogous to the option in Word to do section breaks, but it preserves Excel's need to have a consistent numbering scheme that references all cells in the worksheet.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

AppleMatt I am not sure I understand your issue, but let me give it a try.

If you want to put a comment at the bottom of the spreadsheet that extends across the columns, go to the Format menu, select Cells..., click on the Alignment tab. Make sure that the Wrap Text box is not checked.

Now when you click on a cell and enter text, you can write all the way across the bottom provided the adjoining cells do not have any data in them.

With this method, you will need to do the line breaks manually.

Or another way, is to select the cells across the bottom of your spreadsheet, then go to the same dialog (above) and select Merge Cells and Wrap Text. Then you will need to resize the row height to match the text if it wraps.

Hope this helps.