Excel Help for Mac PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theturtle, Oct 12, 2010.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

hey guys, ran into a problem. googled it but came up with results on how to change the axis name only.

[​IMG]

the numbers on the bottom are supposed to be the month names but i can't find exactly how to change them. :(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Include the column headers in the selected area before you click the chart:
    ScreenCap 1.PNG
    or with all of them:
    ScreenCap 2.PNG

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you altered the series? Im not sure how to do it in Excel (Im a numbers man).

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, don't select one range, then add the other range. Drag to select it all in one range.

Not this:
    wjx9x1.png
    But this:
    wjx9x2.png
    If only want Baltimore, move Seattle out of the range.

6. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

first just wanted to say thank for taking the time out and actually going through the process with me! :D

but anyways, you were right, when i deleted the seattle row, the graph came out like i wanted, but when i added the seattle row back in, it somehow modified itself. how would i get just baltimore without adding in seattle? i thought the selecting one line than selecting the other items via command was the answer but yeah, it gave me a messed up graph.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I showed you in the first graph I posted. In this example, drag and select A2:G5 then click the chart (you don't need the blank rows 3 and 4 if you don't want them):
    [​IMG]

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

got it got it. last question than!
    [​IMG]

i have to create a bar chart of the total rainfall. how would i make it so it just has the months and the total rainfall? when i did the dragging method, it listed all the info and when i would try to delete the bars i dont need, it would delete everything. so if i chose to delete the chicago bars (everything except the total rainfall column) everything would delete.

the second chart im supposed to make is a pie chart for chicago. but when i try the dragging method, because chicago is on the bottom and all data is selected, seattle is the data the comp uses to make a graph.

i should note, the spreadsheet i have cannot be changed. so i cant take switch chicago with seattle, vice versa.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm getting the feeling now that I'm doing your homework for you, which I'm not inclined to do. I may be wrong, but it sounds like the point is for you to learn how to do it yourself. Good luck!

10. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

not really...

would you like to see the graphs i already made?

if google doesn't tell me than who exactly am i supposed to turn too?

i also put in "change categories excel mac" but came up empty. i actually have been searching for maybe an hour or two.

it doesnt help when the computers we're taught on are excel 07.

11. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

theres the proof that i completed the assignment :p

its not that i need help finishing, its that i need help revising (and learning for fuure references).

for example, the only way i was able to get only chicago to show up or do the total rainfall only was to rewrite the data and select that. my question is, if theres any other method that would allow me to reach those graphs without rewriting the info.

12. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have found it!!!!!

thanks for the help! :)

it was alot more confusing than i expected :confused: