Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

champ01

I need to import CSV files into the backend of my website.
In Excel column D represents product specs (D2 is product specs of Product Y, D3 specs for product X etc etc.)
All the specs I made are in Tables.

How can I create a Table into a single cell?

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll You are asking for something impossible... :p Cells fit into tables, not the opposite ;)

However, a possible workaround would be to use the HIPERLINK function. It should give you the result you want, but I'm not sure if this is supported in recent Excel versions - I work with 2003 :(

Here is an example:

=HYPERLINK("[Y-spreadsheed.xls]sheet2!A1","Y item specs")

where
HYPERLINK -> receives text parameters (remember to use the "") ;)
[Y-spreadsheed.xls] -> name of an external file to your desired spreadsheet
sheet2 -> the name of the sheet you want to work with inside the file
!A1 -> the cell where the cursor will be when it opens
Y item specs -> what the user will read in the cell (make sure it makes sense XD)

Hope this helps :D

C

champ01

I'm a real noob when it comes to Excel (i'm using Excel for Mac)

Here is an example of what needs to be happening.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
In any version of Excel is it not possible to build a table into a single excel cell, normally when creating a csv file you match the fields that the application expects to the columns in an Excel spreadsheet. What you need to do is look at the output you need and then work backwards to build the worksheet. See the attached Excel screenshot with the associated CSV output. If this is not what you need, please can you post the an example of the CSV output then we may be able to help you better.

Screenshot_18_01_2013_19_33.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.