Excel like applications

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by michealjohn, Mar 21, 2010.

1. michealjohn macrumors member

Hi,

I used MS excel documet to keep track of my monthly expenses and other financial transactions in my old HTC Windows Mobile.
    Now I am using iPhone 3GS and I am not able to edit/save my old excel documents.
    Is there any excel like application exists for iPhone 3GS? Basically what I need is, to add more fields(customizable) and enter the desscription and sum up the amount. This is the basic thing I will do it in excel.
    Any suggestions?

2. ginguar macrumors regular

Hi,

I use Quickoffice this lets you edit excel spreadsheets and word documents

I've tried other apps which do similar and like this one best.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I use Documents To Go on my iPhone 3GS and Open Office on my Mac. DTG is the closest to the real Word / Excel / Powerpoint software for mobiles...it's also the most expensive.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

Go to the app store

Search excell & office the whole list will come up along with reviews. Pretty cool huh!

5. sers macrumors regular

I use Documents to Go as well and have been very happy with their latest update, which includes the ability to download email attachments from Gmail accounts.

6. michealjohn thread starter macrumors member

Document to go supports password protected excel/word

Do Document to go supports password protected excel/word?
    If not, which one can support this?
    I am using Windows Vista PC and need to synch my password protectd excel document to be copied to iPhone and need to open it and also need to edit it.
    Any suggestion..before buying DTG?

7. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    I use Quick Office,....Well,...let me say that I like the idea of it and own it. I had it in my head that I would be using it all the time when I got the App but " Quick"-ly discovered that the iPhone is just too small to do any real Spreadsheet work.

When the iPad comes out I have a feeling I might be using this App a little more.

8. michealjohn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you mean to say Quick office can able to open the password protected excel? Do I password protect the excel in Windows Vista and I can able to open it in iPhone with the password? or how it works.

Which one to use..? when I searched in app stores the following are listed..

Quickoffice Connect --> $14.99
    Quickoffice Connect --> FREE
    Quickoffice Mobile --> $9.99
    QuickSheet --> $8..99
    QuickWord --> $8.99

Yes, I agree with you iPhone is too small to do big things in excel.
    But, for me I will be maintaining a quite few cards payment details..

9. take one macrumors newbie

Dtg

I don't know if Quickoffice can read password protected files but Documents to Go can read up to 2003 Excel files. It can not currently read 2007 but I believe that is coming.

I'm not current with Quickoffice but I do own it. When Documents to Go came out last year I found it infinitely superior to Quickoffice so I purchased it and have used it ever since. I have let my Quickoffice languish.

I use it quite often for updating Excel files and I don't mind the smallness of the screen. I would rather put up with inconvenience of having the smaller screen than having to lug a laptop or even netbook around. And even with the iPad coming out I won't update to it. If it can't fit in my pocket I don't want it. I wouldn't want to have to build a complicated spreadsheet on it (I use my desktop for that) but for updating it works for me.

Life is full of tradeoffs so you need to decide what is going to work best for you. For me it was all about size and with the iPhone and Documents to Go the advantages of not having to haul something larger across airports were the selling factor.

And now with exchange possible between either Microsoft Exchange or Gmail it is easy to backup to my home computer while on the road.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

QuickOffice is great.

It supports password protected .xlsx files. I just tested it. So it supports the new formats. I haven't tested passwords in .xls but .xlsx works. I can test the other one if you need me too. Also the connect version supports dropbox, which is the best way to transfer files from a computer to the device and back again.