Excel-MAIL-Entourage-Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BennyBlades, Nov 28, 2007.

1. BennyBlades macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm at wits end trying to open up an excel file in both MAIL and Entourage. From my windows laptop using Outlook, I e-mailed myself one excel file as a test. When MAIL received it, the file was not my excel file like I'm used to seeing but rather "winmail.dat". I setup Entourage, sent another test mail and the same thing...."winmail.dat".

What is going on here? I love this mac but I rely on this machine for my job and receiving excel files is part of doing business. I purchased Office for mac so I have excel here on this iMac.

Thanks in advance for your help.....Benny Blades

2. Bensheim macrumors newbie

Dear Benny

I found this link which should help you:

http://www.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm

"Dealing with the winmail.dat file: the problem and the solutions"

3. BennyBlades thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey bud....that was the fix! On my windows machine/Outlook, I switched to plain text instead of HTML. I did another quick email test with .xls attached and it worked. I still have the same issue if a customer using outlook is set up in HTML...but we'll cross that road when it happens!

Now I have to decide whether to use MAIL or Entourage....but that might be another thread!! So far with Entourage, I can't figure out a way to import my ADDRESS BOOK app. into Entourage.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If I understand your question, turn on sync services in entourage, which will sync your contacts between mail and ent., as well as calendar entries with iCal.

5. BennyBlades thread starter macrumors newbie

Le Big Mac....that worked! I had one item on my ical for tomorrow (Thursday)...that didn't sync over for some reason but my ADDRESS BOOK did. Thanks for the help.....Benny Blades