Excel mystery - pls help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I have some basic speed sheets ( lists and a few calculation ) - but every so often they turn themselves into " Read only " files.

Why do they do that and how can I stop it as it's quite annoying!:mad:

cheers

:)

2. simsaladimbamba

Are they read only within Excel only or are the permissions of the files frelled up?
    What Mac OS X and Excel version do you use and where do you keep the Excel files? Have you seen any pattern?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

3. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

My guess is that this might be related to OS X's "Versions" feature. I remember seeing something about files locking themselves after a set period of time if no changes are made to them.

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Seem to be read only in Excel.

Typically..I'll be working on it, then come to save it and it will tell me its read only - so I have to save it with a different name. This works OK until the problem rears it head again.

Its Office 2011

Not tried with another account.

Many thanks

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Nope, its not that as Office 2011 does not support the new Versions / Autosave features first introduced in Lion and then Mountain Lion.

----------

Are you using a '/' in the file name ? Normally used to specify a date as part of the filename. This is a known issue to cause Excel to treat the file as read only. Use a - instead.