Excel or Numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lexus, Oct 14, 2007.

?

Excel of Pages

1. Excel

50.0%
  2. Numbers

50.0%
  1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

So I have been using Numbers a bit recently and it is great but not as simple as Excel for some reason. I think I prefer Excel, what about you?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Do you mean Numbers instead of Pages, as Pages is not an Excel competitor...

For simple things Numbers is A LOT better than Excel, but it doesn't do that much...

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Considering the two products have different targets, ie. Pages handles page layouts and word processing , while Excel is a spreadsheet program, you cant compare the two.

I think you are possibly talking about Numbers and Excel, yes?

4. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Yes my bad fixing it now.

EDIT: Cannot change the text in the poll but I mean Numbers not Pages.

Sorry for the confusion.

5. esaleris macrumors 6502

Depends on what you're using it for. If you're tabulating stuff, I think it works grand. If you're, say running an analysis on 1500 lines of data, it might not be a good idea. Think of Numbers as "Pages-in-table-form," not an Excel counterpart.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For many, yes, but for younger students, Excel was needed (not many use Open/NeoOffice), but now Numbers can do the same stuff, while making better looking charts :)

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

For home use, I may switch to Numbers. $80 is cheaper than $150 for a new office suite. Were Office 2004 Universal, I'd just stick with it.

For professional work, even if I had a Mac at work, Numbers is inadequate.

And my wife is content with Office 2004 on her G5 so she'll stay with that.

8. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

I wanted to love Numbers, I really did!

But I need to share spread sheets back and forth with Windows users and it's a big hassle to keep converting back and forth. I've also lost formatting in the conversion. So for now, it's still my M$ Office v.X and Excel :-/

-mj

9. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I also wanted to love Numbers. But I need high-finance formulas and regression that Numbers simply does not do. Also, Numbers runs SIGNIFICANTLY slower than Excel, despite the fact that Excel is a terrible MS product running emulated on Intel chips.

And I agree, Psychofreak, Numbers is probably fantastic for young students. They don't need much more than simple formulas, and the graphs are way more pretty.

I really hope Apple includes features that we want, while still making it have a simple interface for other users. But I would argue that the vast majority of users still need a lot more than is currently in Numbers.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

For my use, Numbers seems more than capable...

I ditched MS Office a while back and have used NeoOffice until I bought iWork '08 recently. Don't see myself going back any time soon...

Oh, and I changed the poll... ;)

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Numbers does all I need from a spreadsheet .. :)

Two days after installing it, I was able to remove Excel .. happy days .. :cool:

12. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Thanks alot for changing it,

I guess many people find Numbers "different".

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Excel '08 looks nice though...much cooler than, but still more complex (and expensive) than Numbers. MS are busy refining their suite, while Apple are newbies...newbies that will eventually get MUCH better. I see Numbers v2 being much better than Excel '08, at least for my needs...

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The latest edition of MacUser says "MICROSOFT TOUTS $50 PRICE FOR OFFICE 08" (for home users)

That will stir things up a bit .... :cool: