Excel question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by novetan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

I just installed Office for MAC 2011 a few days ago and could not find how to trouble shoot this. In excel, I would expect fn F2 will highlight (or prompt) the respective cells that contribute to the formula. (eg a x b = c). So when I put the cursor at C and press fn F2, in Window Excel it will highlight the cell at a and b, but it didn't show.

This there somewhere I can turn it on or nothing can be done about it.

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

What?!

Not sure I fully understand what you're talking about.
    FN key ... are you on a MacBook/MBP?
    I'm on Mac Mini so I don't have a FN key but I do have 2011 installed and I don't use Excel much.

Could you type what data you have in a range of cells and type the actually menu command you're to use? (ie. reference what menu and sub-selection would give you that FN+F2 key) please?

I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I get the same result.

3. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I don’t have MS Excel any more, but I remember that it wasn’t a simple step like it was in the Windows version. When I was working in both Mac and Windows, I helped out at the following VBA Express; there is a current Mac moderator who is quite knowledgeable. Take a look or ask.

4. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the VBA link. I will get there and ask. Neo Office even has the above function as per my question but sadly the Office MAC don't seems to have it. Its so important.

5. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Is it difficult or troublesome to give a double click on the cell itself? That does the trick for me.

6. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have just registered at VBA awaiting activation, hence I still cannot post there.

Meanwhile, if anybody has an answer, I appreciate. Here's the image to make it clearer.

Cell C3 is a sum total of A3+B3. So when I put the cursor at C3 and press fn+F2, it will prompt me with the colour box. This function appear not available in Mac Office. Any where that I can trigger this?

[​IMG]

7. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much. Our message were merely a few min apart.

I didn't knew by just clicking twice it does the trick. It's really that simple.

Thanks again.

8. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is the one option. I know that when I was heavy into Excel on the Windows side, everything was keyboard-centric, hence the use of F2.