Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
I'm not familiar with Excel at all. My wife uses it at work on her PC and also has it installed on her iBook at home (OS X).

Here's the problem: At work she has been able to make pop-up menus in the Excel worksheet but we can't figure out how to do it in OS X, she's very frustrated. We can get the pop-up on screen but can not get any values into it.

Any help is appreciated,

John

Also, just to rant, Excel is completely unintuitive and a general disappointment to use. I'm certainly happy that I don't have to deal with it on a daily (or even monthly) basis.

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
Re: Excel Question

Originally posted by DVDSP
I'm not familiar with Excel at all. My wife uses it at work on her PC and also has it installed on her iBook at home (OS X).

Here's the problem: At work she has been able to make pop-up menus in the Excel worksheet but we can't figure out how to do it in OS X, she's very frustrated. We can get the pop-up on screen but can not get any values into it.

Any help is appreciated,

John

Also, just to rant, Excel is completely unintuitive and a general disappointment to use. I'm certainly happy that I don't have to deal with it on a daily (or even monthly) basis.

What do you mean "pop-up menu"? Do you mean the little window that pops up when you put your mouse over a cell? Please expand :)

And remember, its only unintuitive if you dont know how to use it. :)

~altair

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
More info

Originally posted by altair
What do you mean "pop-up menu"?

Well, in Excel if you click on the button for 'Combo Box' and then go to the spreadsheet you can draw the 'Combo Box' which looks like your typical choose-one-of-the-things-listed pop-up list.

Problem is, we can't figure out how to get the list into the box. Maybe we're using the wrong tool, but it LOOKS like what she needs her final result to be.

I think what she wants is a few columns to have these 'pop-ups'. In the first column you choose your name from the list, in the second you choose which office you work in, in the third you choose something else and so on. At the end it takes all of the values you've indicated and gives you the proper corresponding result (for what meeting you need to attend or something like that).

She is frustrated because someone at work showed her how to do it one time and it worked and now she's trying to recreate it for another project and can't figure it out. I'm not much help. I'm more of a Photoshop, After Effects, FCP, DVDSP kinda guy.

Thanks for your help.

John

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
wow

Ok, I am not familiar with this, but will work on it, I will post again tommorow, hopefully with some info.

~altair

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
I've a spreadsheet that shows a simple combo box in action. You can get a copy here:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bigphil/stuff/

Basically, you need to create a list of values (Input Range) and tell the combo box to read from the list. Right-click the combo box and select "Format Control." A window should pop up. Click the "Control" tab and put the cell references in the "Input Range" box. You will also need to select a "Cell Link" that will reflect the user's selections.

If you would like I can create a simple spreadsheet with your specifications. I'll leave the design and format up to you. Send me a PM if you need help.

In any event, let me know if you have any questions.

DVDSP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2003
Southwick, MA
Thanks guys

She went to work today and checked with the girl who originally showed her. Apparently what she wanted to do is called 'Validation' and it is available under the 'Data' menu. She showed me briefly how to do it today when she got home from work.

Thanks for your help!

John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.