Excel Sheet WIth Cell Comments

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by roycemac, Dec 30, 2011.

1. roycemac macrumors member

HELP!

Can anyone here tell me what app for the ipad will allow me to view an Excel sheet AND see the Comments that have been inserted in its cells?
    I'm not asking to edit...just VIEW.

Readdle Docs and DocsToGo...neither one can do this.
    I know because I bought both and tried them (AWFUL interface on both with regard to Excel...don't waste yout time & $ if Excel is important to you)

2. Ashwood11, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Sorry, I can't help you. I have Apple's Numbers app but no Excel spreadsheets to check your requirements. Suggest you contact Microsoft and ask their advice. Even if they can't recommend an app, it will send the message that maybe they need to offer Excel on iOS 5.

I did check the Excel spreadsheet you sent me and it did not read the comments. Also sent screenshots so you could see for yourself.

3. roycemac thread starter macrumors member

Ahswood, I have sent you an email via this site to request that you allow me to send you a single Excel Sheet with comments in the cells for you to test on your Ipad. I will also send you a private message with my personal email for you to reply to.

----------

Anyone else who would be so kind as to run this test for me (and everyone else who uses Excel on thir Ipad) please send me a message and I will send you the file.
    I know that thie following do NOT read excel comments:
    DocsToGo premium
    Readdle Docs

Thanks to all and a Happy New Year.

4. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Numbers does not show comments. I've read (but haven't seen it myself) that Quickoffice will show them.

5. roycemac thread starter macrumors member

If anyone has quick office I would send you a simple excel sheet with comments to test the feature. Please lmk.

6. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I just bought Quickoffice but do not see the comments. I will check further to see if I missed something.

7. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Could you just export your Excel spreadsheets and cell comments as a PDF file? If you just need for viewing, would that satisfy your requirement?

8. roycemac thread starter macrumors member

no. The comments in Excel pop up with a mouseover so the page may be clearly viewd. The comments would have to be all visible to print them.

This ma be a ead end for me.

9. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Have you given the thought to an app that will let you see your computer screen on your iPad? There are lots of those and some are very good if not great for the awesome price of FREE!! :D Not sure if that it an option for you though.

10. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

If you google on the phrase

exporting excel comments

You will see some techniques for extracting/exporting the excel cell comments and putting them into a Word document. Also, the techrepublic.com discussion says that printing the comments is simple; I presume that generating a PDF of those comments is equally simple.

I don't have a lot of tolerance for the "roach motel" model: software that makes it easy to enter structured data but difficult to extract that data. You've got to wonder if the purpose of such mechanisms is to try to lock in users to a particular app.

There were reports at the end of November that MS is actively working on an iPad version of Office. Who knows exactly what that means, and who knows if it will implement all of the esoteric features -- like accessing and updating comments in Excel spreadsheet cells? And who knows how long it'll take 'em to do this? The Office group may have a mandate to wait until after Win8 is released before releasing this software for other tablets.