Excel to Numbers issue Fx formula not compatable.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by audtracol, Jan 25, 2010.

1. audtracol macrumors newbie

G'day, I have recently run a 13 page excel spread sheet for a budget on Windows and on transferring it to Numbers on my new mac, one of the formulas is not compatable. this is what I do. There is a balance figure on each of pages 2 to 13 which are then required to be transferred as a total figure in one of the columns on page 1.

This was the formula on windows: =SUM(xmas:Savings!F2)

xmas being the name of page 2 and Savings being the name of page 13. Can anyone help with the correct formula for numbers??????

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A 13-page spreadsheet cannot be debugged by looking at one cell.

3. AirWave macrumors newbie

If I have understood what you want to do correctly, I think the easiest way would be do do something like this (assuming your pages 1-13 are working correctly)

On page 1 I would have a field like this:
    =SUM(Page 2 :: Table 1 :: B3;Page 3 :: Table 1 :: B3)
    That will return the SUM of B3 on page 2 and 3.

Just use =SUM( and then mark the fields you want SUM to return the value of.

4. audtracol thread starter macrumors newbie

All fixed thanks!!!!!

Airwave,

thanks for that, it's so simple when someone shows you the way. To correct my initial post it was 13 sheets within a workbook rather than 13 pages. Your advice was spot on.

Cheers and happy Aussie Day
    :)

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Excel might do this, but if not, here's a reason to shows some Numbers love ...

A cell reference doesn't have to F3 or G9. Let's say you have a series of columns representing years, 2001 through 2010. Then you have series of columns representing specific expenses: Mileage, Tolls, Parking, Entertainment, and Total.

These are a perfectly valid references: 2009 Mileage, 2001 Entertainment, 2002 Tolls. You can also use Sum(Total) or Sum('2009'). No special cell naming command needed.

Haven't figured how to take this across multiple tables or sheets yet.

mt