Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
In excel, whenever I try to type in a cell, I must press the first key 10-20 times before it shows up. It doesn't show up delayed, as in it shows up with 20 a's, it just shows one. Once the first key shows I can type anything else in that cell, but when i hit an arrow key or click to go to another cell, I have to hit the first letter 10-20 times again. I have to click 10-20 times to click into a new cell as well. This just started today. I've tried restarting excel a few times, but It didn't help.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This sounds like a complete issue with your computer. I'm using Excel right now and not having such issue.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
In excel, whenever I try to type in a cell, I must press the first key 10-20 times before it shows up. It doesn't show up delayed, as in it shows up with 20 a's, it just shows one. Once the first key shows I can type anything else in that cell, but when i hit an arrow key or click to go to another cell, I have to hit the first letter 10-20 times again. I have to click 10-20 times to click into a new cell as well. This just started today. I've tried restarting excel a few times, but It didn't help.

Reinstall office or get iwork.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Ok, I reinstalled office, and I'm still having the problem. However, I have a graph in word that has data I need to add to every day, and now there is no option to edit the data. It doesn't show up in the toolbox on the side, and if I rightclick on the graph, the option to edit data in excel is grayed out.

I tried restarting excel and word and neither does anything. I need to edit this graph for school and I have been working on it for over a week. How can I get it to let me edit it?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This sounds like a complete issue with your computer. I'm using Excel right now and not having such issue.

Nope. I get the "refusal to register when typing" in Excel frequently. (I think I tried to post this before, but there were traffic issues, and it doesn't seem to have gone through.) Anyway, I don't just keep typing, hoping for a different result until it works. Instead, I save the document, then it recognizes my typing again. I have Office 2004 with all updates, and OS 10.5.8

I'm hoping Office 2010 will fix this problem.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Option 1: Call tech support. With both Office 2004 and Office 2008, you get 2 free calls to tech support. You can get the telephone number for your region here. This is probably the fastest solution.

Option 2: Post to the Excel public forums. Lots of Excel gurus hang out there. Make sure you post lots more details than what you wrote here, including which version of Excel you're using and which version of OS X you're using. Also tell them whether it's just happening in one particular workbook or in any workbook that you try to edit in Excel, as well as what file format (.xls, .xlsx, etc) that you're using.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.