excel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kream926, May 2, 2008.

1. kream926 macrumors newbie

anyway to get excel or excel like program on an hacked phone?

i am an airline pilot and would like to keep track of flight times through my iphone

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Mail on iPhone will preview Excel attachments, so any Excel files you email yourself will be visible in Mail.

You will only be able to read and not edit these documents.

3. kream926 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. terrordemon macrumors member

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Last i checked you can only read those, and not edit them either. Maybe, and hopefuly its changed, but i dont think so.

6. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Who knows what possibilities lie with the SDK.

7. zmit macrumors regular

8. jeffreyfort macrumors member

this is way i have to keep my treo 700P to this point. hopefully, iPhone2 will have something like Documents-To-Go so that we can edit Office doc on iPhone.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

As a pilot I understand where you are coming from, and it would be nice to have an electronic log book that works on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

My guess is that we will see applications like this coming out after the SDK release in June.

In the meantime, how about going about it from a different angle. Here is a work around that might work for you.

Let's say that the fields in your log book are these (I know there are more, but for brevity):

Date
    Departure Airport
    Destination Airport
    Total Hours
    Pilot-in-Command Hours
    Co-Pilot Hours
    Night Hours

So using mail on your iPhone you would enter something like this, with each entry separated by a space.

20080425 SEA DIA 2.0 2.0 0.0 0.7

You mail this to your flight tracking e-mail account. I would probably just set up a new gmail, hotmail, yahoo or whatever account to make it easy to see and track by the message subject. My message subjects might simply be the date of the flight like this:

Flight-20080425

The message text would simply be the flight information like above. Short and sweet.

Then mail the message to your flight tracking e-mail account.

Now when you get home, you open your flight tracking e-mail account. Copy the line of information. Then past into your Excel flight logbook. When you paste the information, it will go into the cell that you clicked on in your flight logbook. After this, you should see a clipboard showing by the cell. Click on it, and then select "Use Text Import Wizzard...".

A series of dialogs will come up.
    Step 1 of 3, Select NEXT.
    Step 2 of 3, Check the space checkbox, then press NEXT.
    Step 3 of 3, Go with general (you may want to play around with this), then press FINISH.

Now your data should be filled in appropriately across your flight logbook entries.

A few steps, but better than having to write it down and then enter it. This way you enter the data once and then copy/paste to get it into your flight logbook.

Hope this helps.

10. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

That's a pretty good idea there. It may sound tedious when it's all written out, but I think it would work pretty well in real life.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks!

I hope kream926 will find it a worthwhile alternative until we have some sort of Excel compatible application for the iPhone.

One nice thing about e-mailing your flight info each time, is that you automatically create a back up of your logbook, which can be accessed anywhere in the world. This might come in handy at times.

12. fteter macrumors member

13. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Take a look at this: Log Ten Mobile. It is an iPhone front end for their Max OS X logbook, Log Ten Pro.

Not sure if you're looking for all that, but it would get the job done.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting.

According to the website, it looks like you must purchase Log Ten Pro to be able to use Log Ten Mobile -- at least the way I read it.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Did any of our ideas help you with a solution?