Excel08- How do I create a new formula

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ericamariec4, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ericamariec4 macrumors newbie

I'm taking a spreed sheet class online and i'm way behind. Here's one of my biggest problems. The book that i'm using with all the "labs" in it is an excel 07 book, so things are differnt but for the most part i'm finding things in different places. Which is ok, thanks to search engines and the internet. The one thing I cant figure out is creating a new formula. Its asking me to:::

Go to the formulas tab, and use the create "selection" and create new formulas and name them. How the heck do I do that? Hope someone can help me! Thanks

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

So you're using an Excel '07 book for Windows to try to learn to use Excel '08 for Mac? The Windows and Mac versions have very different menus, i.e.. the Windows version has the Ribbon menu system, which the Mac version does not have. If I were you I would get the Excel '08 for Mac book and save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just double click in the cell until you see the cursor, then you need to start the formula with " = "

Example:

=SUM(A1:B1)

4. ericamariec4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I'm sorry, it does sound crazy. I cant change books because they have assignements in them. That is kinda like changing my computer just because of a program not working. I cant just do it SORRY. And excel 08 was all I could get at our local electronic store.

As for the other posts..I want to create a new formula, not use a default one. I did the whole =......but, i want to create a formula, and then name it. Thanks

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110