Resolved Excellent Apple Store experience after several sub-par Airs...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Brookzy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Hey guys, long time no post but thought I'd share my experience at the store in Solihull, UK. Will try to keep it brief :eek: .

Yesterday I bought an iPad Air (Silver, 64, 4G), and waited until I got home to unbox it (a poor decision in hindsight!). At first all looked great - amazed at the weight, design etc. etc. :p

But then I noticed small scuffs on the SIM tray area, the headphone jack and speaker grill. Small scuffs, and pretty insignificant, but annoying nonetheless. Then I booted up the iPad, only to be greeted by a nice grey band along the left edge of the screen. I'm not normally fussy about this - I've had plenty of iThings over the years and never complained. But this was a tad too far, and unlike previous iPads.

On Saturday I went back to the store hoping they would replace the iPad but prepared to be told it was normal. I was delighted to find, however, that the employee was totally in agreement with me and sent off for a replacement right away, by refunding to a gift card and effectively purchasing another.

It arrived. I open it, give it a quick look over... One small mark but not major. Employee asks to have a look - and he finds two more marks I didn't spot! Without me even asking, he boxes it up and sends for another.

You can see where this is going...

The next was even worse. Clear marks on the back. I laughed and essentially apologised for being such a perfectionist/picky bastard and the guy said we'll just keep going until it's perfect. "If mine had those marks I wouldn't be happy," he said. It took two more before I found a good one - and it is flawless. The manager apologised, and could only put it down to being a bad batch. To be honest, I was rather embarrassed at going through 5 iPads moaning about each one, but each had varying and obvious blemishes. I feel guilty now for wasting 5 iPads! Apparently they'll end up on the refurb store...

Overall I just can't believe how good Apple are about this. Yes, you pay a premium. No, they're not perfect. But I've yet to find a company who stands behind their products like Apple.

Anyway, thought it was worth sharing a positive story to rebalance the negativity on this forum.

Forgive me if this was poorly written... It's far too late haha

:)

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This forum is always negative. Its what you come to expect when you visit macrumors. The people here can spin anything into a negative thing.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No one should have to have a scuffed up new i-something, and Apple stores are pretty darn good about exchanges.

Now set it up & put your own scratches on it. :D

4. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

What a breath of fresh air.

As a 1st time iPad purchaser, reading some of these threads started to freak me out. Until I got a grip, thought back to all the Apple purchases I've made since 1989 & the very rare incidents I've experienced. When needed, Apple always came through.

Now I've adopted the just enjoy the damn thing approach. Works for me.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I will say that the reason I set my Apple devices up in the store is so I can quickly rectify any issues that arise.

6. FAsnakes macrumors regular

That's awesome.. Better yet - you're a happy camper!

7. mrdm macrumors regular

I had my rose tinted ipad air screen replaced with no questions asked. Second air is perfect.

So nice that Apple stands behind their products. One of the reasons I keep purchasing Apple products.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Glad you got a good one after so many units :p I have had more iGadgets then I wish to admit but have never had screen issues. Thankfully my eyes don't pick them up! I plan on ordering a refurbished mini (1st gen) when they come back in stock and I am just going to take what I get :eek: .

9. NowhereOutThere macrumors member

My silver one I got yesterday had the gray band you mention and also pretty bad uneven tinting. I returned it for a space gray one today and still have the band issue, but I'm chalking it up to bad screens at the moment and will eventually go back and swap for another in a month (Holiday return policy and all that). Hopefully by then it will be sorted out.

10. Brookzy thread starter macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Being the geek I am, I found that each time they got out a new one I got emailed a receipt - in other words, I have the serial numbers of all 6 units in total. And the last 5 all rolled off the production line consecutively, according to online serial number checkers (questionable accuracy, I'm sure).

So hopefully it was just a bad run, or maybe a disgruntled Foxconn bee. Haha.