Excellent battery life on new 13" MBP (Screenshot Attached)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James17, Jul 22, 2009.

1. James17 macrumors 6502

I clicked the battery icon at the top of the screen and what I seen is below. I'm extremely impressed with this new machine.:D Sold my old 15" Late 2008 Unibody few weeks ago on eBay as I wanted to downsize for portability.

Update: Obviously this was an estimated time and it was given when I used the computer on the battery for the first time upon receiving it. I assumed people wouldn't actually think I was getting 10 hours whilst using applications on it. You would probably get that amount of time by doing nothing on it. I just thought I would share it as it's the first time I've had it on any MacBook Pro and I've owned every generation of them.

Attached Files:

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hot damn... 10 hours of battery life, sweetness doesn't get much sweeter than that.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I hope I'm not bursting your bubble too much, but that is just an estimate. Although I have to say that I wish that my Rev C MacBook Air had that kind of battery life!

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

5. anguyenn macrumors member

I can get the same result on a fully charged Macbook that has nothing running and is idle for a minute or two, good luck actually getting 10 hours of real usage though. Don't give people the wrong impression...

6. shred macrumors newbie

Exactly. Turn the brightness up, run a few applications, and actually use the computer. That's a true test of battery life.

Having said that, I'm finding that my 15" uMBP averages ~5 hours with the brightness all the way up, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Firefox, and Safari running. I'm pretty happy with that result!

7. MrPeanut macrumors regular

I've had my 13 inch mbp since Saturday and the longest battery life the 'estimate' has given is around 5:45, which isnt the 7 hours advertised but im happy with it.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yup. Late-2008 MacBook Pro, I can get it to read 5:34 which is past the normal capacity. Open an application or two and watch that thing drop. Thread title VERY misleading.

9. juleyah macrumors newbie

juleyah

Highest battery estimate I've gotten for my MBP 13 (see signature for specs) is 6h 45 minutes. And it did last almost 5 hours last time I checked & measured it. Purty good, methinks. (Especially when the battery estimate for my MBP 15 is maximum 2 hours! Clearly an upgrade!).

10. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

On my 2.53ghz mbp 13"

I was only able to get about 2 hrs and 20 mins from using 70 % of my battery
    thats really poor..

Things i had open
    ichat
    safari
    firefox
    excel
    numbers
    mail
    wifi
    brightness @ 80%

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

idonotliketostu, that seems about right for the applications you are running. Keep in mind that all these high battery readings are with nothing running on next to no brightness with wifi and bluetooth off.

12. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Excel is one of the worst coded apps on the mac and uses inordinate amounts of CPU time.

Firefox (esp V2) and then Safari (if you are using it often) uses quite abit.

Nothing wrong with those numbers from 70% TBH, might need to calibrate your battery but I recon if your at 30-50% CPU usage (which is what I get when using the above) then that's pretty reasonable!

13. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

My uptime was 2 hrs 20 min (load average, .3), with 30% battery left is what I meant. Battery gave me an estimated 50mins for the remainder of the 30%.

For a grand total of 3 hours and 10 mins on a full "7 hr" battery.

14. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Yea but with all the stuff you had open and with the 80% screen brightness that batt life seem the norm...

15. vanc macrumors 6502

I got the same 10 hours estimation when I was not using the MBP for several minutes. I reported in the WD scorpio thread. It's quite interesting, although the time is just an estimation.

16. MacMur macrumors regular

Yesterday I got a realistic 8 hrs with wifi and bluetooth on while connected to the internet. Brightness just about as low as possible, below 50%. Just turned the lights down low in my office.

I am pumped. Remember I was pretty careful not to run cpu intensive stuff. No videos or trailers. Actually being able to get a run-time the same or over Apple's estimate is a real surprise.

17. emilyland1326 macrumors newbie

Atm I'm on 68% with Mail, Safari, iTunes, Pages, TaskPaper and Disk Utility on, Bluetooth off, 6 squares from full brightness...and my battery is 4:58hrs.

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure I've seen my June09 15" MBP say over 11 hours right after being unplugged with nothing happening in the system. Of course in normal use it gets about 5:30-6 hours, which is still pretty good.

19. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Battery life is really helping to drive sales of MacBook Pros at our store.