Excellent Description of Apple TV Remote Design Issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by colodane, Jan 12, 2019.

1. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

2. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

The only issue I have with the Apple TV 4K remote control is the trackpad - it often overshoots my intended target on the screen. I can understand why Apple used a trackpad instead of buttons - fewer moving parts results in fewer mechanical problems - but I feel that Apple needs to understand there are times when a mechanical button would be the better solution.

Just my $0.02

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I somewhat agree.
    Mixed feelings on it.
    It a pain to find and slips in between cushions easily.
    I have a samsung tv and the remote has a similarly minimalist designed.
    I’ve gotten used to it.
    Most of the time I use my iPad as the Apple TV remote

4. colodane thread starter macrumors 6502a

colodane

I forgive the author for not mentioning the lack of a mute button. Apple, after all, forgot about it also.

And, because it is so thin, you can't pick it up on a hard surface unless you have long fingernails.

5. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

Exactly my feelings. The trackpad can do an excellent job scrubbing through a video (and I do miss it on Fire TV, especially with the awful Prime Video app for Android TV/FireOS), but for going into the menu or moving between icons sometime it's a pain in the neck. I often end up selecting the wrong elements.

Then it's slippery, but I solved it buying a very cheap case. €10 for two of them in Amazon. They also partially solve the symmetry issue. Although both problems could be easily solved leaving the 4 circular buttons in their place and adding the touchpad.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    Well, given the type of content, "Pause" would usually do. When exactly would you need to mute otherwise?

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

What an ignorant piece of silly journalism. My God, don't some people bitch about first world problems! Seriously! Get a life guy!

I love the ATV remote. I have the trackpad on fast and I find it works very well now.

Design wise, I find it to be the most beautiful remote control on the market. My standards are high in design as I always thought that my BANG&OLUFSEN BEO4 remote was the best design BUT the ATV replaces it for design. I can't fault it and my word, what a refreshing change from the plastic rubbish the all of the other manufacturers do.

Do you remember wayyyy back in the real olden days when people bought those DVD players and often, the remote had 50+ buttons on them? Even though you'd only use 5 maximum. That was a true disgrace. Gosh, DVD players were ghastly things. The Apple TV remote is just beautiful in comparison.

In the days gone by when we had Apple TV 2 and 3, i'd use the remote app on the iPhone 4 and then 4S and it did a great job.

7. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

Oh, c'mon. Let's be honest, the guy specified that it was a rant and not a review.

Sure it has great beauty. But that's not accompanied by good usability. It may depend on how one uses it. I, for example, keep switching between Italian (in the kitchen) and English language (with subs) in the bedroom. I find myself swiping down even 3 times to access the video's top bar menu. And navigation between menus (or icons) isn't that consistent. Swiping I may skip a menu/icon because it somehow accelerates, others I have to swipe again. It would work fine tapping, but tapping is boring. :D

Then don't make me start about that (useless in Italy and many other Countries) Siri button I keep pressing by mistake, that in here just opens a new - useless again - search window, which makes the TV switching between one mode and another wasting seconds each time, interrupting the vision. I wish I could at least disable it!!

8. steve23094, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

How do you pick up a pen off a desk? Or a piece of paper? Is this really a problem?

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

10. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

I read that and wondered how this person makes it thru life. Really? He can't figure out a remote. In my view, the ATV remote is by far the best remote I've ever used. It's small, simple and works every time. I don't have any of the issues he describes. The problem is not with the remote.