Excellent (Surprising) Refurb Tale

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GovtLawyer, Jan 25, 2014.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

After much consideration and a constant check of the AppleStore refurbished offerings, I bit the bullet and bought my new iMac. I wanted a 21.5 2.7 with 16 GB and a fusion drive. After much research I realized I would not need the 16GB and if a good 8 GB became available I should jump at it.

This is what I ordered:
    --------------------------
    21.5" - 2.9 Ghz - 8GB Ram - 1T Fusion Drive
    ------------------------------
    I picked it up from the Apple store today - 6 days after ordering it..
    The box says it is a "RFB iMac 21.5"/2.9QC/8GB/1TB-FD/GT750M-USA

Been enjoying the new iMac and testing everything to see if everything copied via Time Machine from my old iMac. I casually looked at the system report.
    --------------------------
    THIS IS WHAT THEY GAVE ME!
    -------------------------
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM143.0118.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.17f2
    Serial Number (system): DCPLW0S6FQN0
    Hardware UUID: 806E2EE4-D44F-510D-8DF5-38F4ADDF6634

I do not know how to post photos here. However, I can tell you that under storage it says I have a - 1.12 TB Fusion Drive of which 887GB are free.
    -------------------------------------------

Did I luck out, or what?

2. Bear macrumors G3

First, 1.12 TB Fusion Drive is actually the correct size for the 1TB Fusion Drive option, but yes, you did luck out on the process and the ram. Grats.

3. BESLC macrumors regular

You certainly scored on that purchase, looks like to have the primo 21.5 system. Which video card did you receive?

I am a bit curious on why so much of your HD is taken, On my new 27". as I recall there was about 40 gigs taken when I first checked the HD after setup.

4. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

So they gave u a faster clock and memory speed?

5. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Lucked out

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB graphics

I used Time Machine to copy over a ton of stuff from my old iMac. Included 10,000 + photos, as well as 3600 songs and other apps. It is not surprising that it took so much space. I have a 2TB external HD, with 850GB for Time Machine and 1.15 TB for whatever.

I also bought a SuperDrive and a Mobee Magic Num Pad for turning my trackpad into the number pad Apple decided I didn't need any longer.

----------

I priced my system at the Apple Store online and it came out to $2099. I paid $1469. It is extremely responsive. I can't wait until the fusion drive starts to see the stuff I use most often and puts that stuff on the faster ssd portion. Its hard to imagine it being much faster than it is.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You're really one lucky chap and got a maxed out refurb 21.5" :)

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-as you originally ordered the 21.5" 2.9GHz imac the graphics card "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M" is standard (so no upgrade there)

But nice getting the extra $400 upgrade bumps and overall Refurb price discount.