excessive GPU Diode temperature?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleMix, Feb 14, 2008.

1. AppleMix macrumors newbie

Is everyone else also seeing their GPU Diode about 10-15 degrees Farenheit higher than everything else through iStat??

Currently, roughly everything is at about 130 degrees and with my GPU Diode at 144 degrees..

Just hoping this is normal.. can you guys post your average GPU Diode and Heatsink temperatures?

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Happens to me regularly. I've been up for about an hour just surfing the web and checking email with itunes playing and my GPU is about 10-12 higher than everything else. I wouldn't sweat it, though YMMV.

3. AppleMix thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had my MBP since June, but this is the first time I've noticed such a big difference in the temperature of the GPU Diode from the GPU Heatsink, CPU A, CPU Heatsink, etc..

I've found at least 3 other posts with people showing similar temperatures, but just wanted to make sure its not my thermal paste..

4. AppleMix thread starter macrumors newbie

simple numbers would be nice.. no need to explain anything, just looking to see if i'm in the average range..

5. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

6. sjons macrumors newbie

GPU Diode at 146 degrees keys sticking even after replacment

My GPU Diode is reading 146 degrees and my keys are randomly sticking even after a keyboard replacment a couple weeks ago!!! So frustrating!! Can't figure it out, though fans are both spinning - per iStat Pro Any help? It doesn't happen in the mornings when I first turn it on, only after hours of use.

Attached Files:

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The temps are normal. Why would be abnormal? You're using a laptop, not a desktop.

8. eldy macrumors 6502

To the TS: the excessive heat is probably being caused by your thermal paste being applied incorrectly. Send it in to Apple and ask them to also inspect your muffler bearings. :apple:

9. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro 17" - right now I'm just using iTunes and the GPU diode temperature is 166 degrees. Is this cause for concern? My fans are around 2000 rpm.

10. CountPollen macrumors member

Temperatures - MBP early 2008

Same here,
    results shown in degrees Celsius
    I find it a real disaster, as my MBP often gives me the screen of death and will bring in my dear :apple: for repairs (i.e. replacing the defective NVIDIA card). I have a feeling that the GPU is overheating which in turn caused my processor to overheat. As you can see from the attachment, fan speeds are almost minimum (2000 rpm is min.). I have an aluminum cooling base with 2 fans under the laptop. Also, load is 2.40 with no applications open.

Cheers,
    Jean

Attached Files:

11. seriouscat21 macrumors newbie

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I will assume that your fans are running?

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

FYI, most people post in C. And probably 90% or more of people who post threads like this are overreacting.

14. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, computer temperatures in F? DOES NOT COMPUTE. And I live in California and use F for everything else!

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i mean, i understand F better. But its easier to figure safe ranges by using C. Unless you like doing conversions constantly.