Excessive heat & fan noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bp1000, Jun 1, 2012.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Ive always struggled with this problem

I almost always just let my mba sleep but sometimes when i open the lid my mba decides to run really hot and of course the fans run faster and noisier.

Checking the process monitor, (all processes selected, not just user processes) there is nothing using the cpu. Average CPU is typically around 1-4% yet the cpu temp is around 78-88c and the fans > 3,500rpm

I don't know what is going on?

The only thing is the mba is connected to an external display via the thunderbolt to HDMI adapter.

I've tried an SMC reset in the distant past but the problem always returns and i believed that to only cure issues when the fans run quick without heat from the CPU.

Any ideas?

2. The-Pro, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

The-Pro macrumors 65816

well when a external screen is connected the gpu is running at its max frequency (1000 something MHz) so that everything is smooth. When it isnt connected its underclocked to minimize heat and power consumption, everything is still just as smooth as it only needs to power the built in screen.
    It makes sense thats its running hotter when connected, i dont know if its normal though how yours is operating. Someone else with a MBA and a external screen might be able to say if its normal or not.
    Also say what MBA you have with what cpu as there is a difference between the models and configurations heat wise.