Excessive Noise on Maxtor Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kwong2006, Feb 17, 2008.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

I am currently using a Maxtor OneTouch III Triple Interface (USB2.0/FW400/FW800) drive, and the drive has been making loud noises for a long time now. Since it didn't affect the integrity of the files inside, I did not pay attention to it until now.

I am pretty sure it is not a head failure, because the noise does not sound like the plate is being hit (I might be wrong). The noise sounds like a machinery whining noise.

Has anyone experienced this problem? This is the second time I have a drive from Maxtor with the same problem.

2. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

3. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I have had a lot of drives fail in this manner.

Either a loud clanking noise or a loud whining noise.

Not anything you can do if it is failing except back it up and send in for warranty if it has one.

4. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

run Disk utility and see what errors come up. I had a 300GB, 4 platter Maxtor drive installed in my iMac G5 (ALS) and it would run hot and make all sorts of noise. ran disk utility and it reported some error with the drive structure. long story short, the drive still works but I removed it from the iMac and installed it in a OWC mercury Elite pro external enclosure.

Run disk utility and see what comes up.

5. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows, this is an external drive.

I ran Disk Utility, and apart from a minor volume header repair (it pops up from time to time), nothing was reported.

OK, I think I am faced with the possibility of buying a new drive. I am currently split between three options.

1. Lacie d2 Quadra Quad-Interface 500GB
    2. OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Quad-Interface 500GB
    3. Western Digital My Book Studio Quad-Interface 500GB

Which one should I buy? I have heard of horror stories on LaCie drives and WD drives. I have never heard of OWC as a brand, so I am leery of them.

6. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

kwong... drives seem to be something of a crap shoot... all of the brands have their failures... just make sure you're well backed up and don't worry too much about it. For the record, I've been using LaCie drives for many years in my portrait studio... they get a lot of use all day long here... never a problem with any. I've got old 80GB, 160 GB, and 320 GB LaCies still going strong. My most recent LaCie drives from the last couple of years are a 500 GB d2 Quadra and a 500 GB d2 Big Disk, and most recently, a 1 TB Big Disk Extreme. I love these drives and their wonderful enclosures. If I were you, I'd order up a 500 GB d2 Quadra. I think they have a 3 year warranty. And make sure you back up religiously, whatever you buy!

For various accessories (especially RAM) I think Other World is a great choice... they are Mac people big time. I just bought 4GB of OWC RAM for my new MacBook for $100!!!! Works perfectly and well warranted.