Excessive PS load times?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UntitledImage, Feb 1, 2017.

1. UntitledImage macrumors regular

UntitledImage

I tried the MBP w/TB one more time because I really need to get untied from this desk! I'm coming from an iMac 2015 with 32gb, SSD, and 4.0ghz i7. Photoshop loads in 2 seconds on that machine. On the MBP its the 2.9 with i7 and 460 gpu, its 23 seconds to load PS, no background apps running. I know its half the ram and the processor isn't as fast, but I don't remember it taking this long to load up since my Window's 7 machine with 12gb. I don't recall it loading that slow the first time I tried the new MBP, but I didn't clock it like I did now. Is this normal? Am I missing something?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That doesn't sound normal to me - it only takes 6 seconds to load on my base model rMB with a core m3 processor and 8GB ram!

3. caramelpolice macrumors regular

I have a 2.7GHz/16GB/Radeon Pro 460 15" machine and Photoshop CC 2017 loads in all of 3-4 seconds.

4. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Take 4 seconds to start ps on my 2,7 ghz 16gb ram 460 gpu macbook 2016

5. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

So what am I missing? What's set up wrong or? I realized do have Dropbox, magnet, spyderpro, and avast running. I tried quitting Dropbox, but quitting the others seems to defeat the point of installing them, however no major improvement with quitting them either it seems... but I also don't see how those could slow it down so much.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

1) Which version of PS are you running? If it's CS6 or earlier, that might be the issue. Doesn't work too well with Sierra.

2) Did you restore from a Time Machine backup or setup your computer from new?

3) Please could you create a new Admin user account for testing purposes and see if PS still takes ages to load up?

7. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

I'm on CC so its the newest version. Yes, I did use a time machine, but I had started with another MBP, same config, and used the same time machine backup and didn't seem to have any of these issues. I Tried quitting everything I can imagine, and still no help. Also, I just restarted the machine and the restart time was was longer than normal. I'll try the new Admin now...

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's great, thank you. Also best to ensure that the reopen windows when logging back in option on shutdown/restart is unticked, as that can occasionally cause odd OS hiccups like what you described.

Can I also check if Sierra is on 10.12.3?

9. UntitledImage, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Really? Man, I've used that option since I got on Mac and had never experienced an issue before with it... I tried the new admin and first it took an excessive amount of time, then I got a warning about a display driver problem- it said PS will temporarily disable this. I quit the program, restarted and it told me I had to reinstall the app and wouldn't start, only crash. So I am back at my normal login and seeing about reinstalling PS.

Yes, every update I can get I have.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2017 ---
    I also have where there is constantly compressed memory present and just trying to open and re-open PS its saying its used swap too. This it starting to get above my computer know-how.... Does this indicate an issue with the RAM?
    Maybe I just need to try a clean install and piece my way through installing fresh instances of all the apps.... Its just such a pain because you have to pick your way through the settings too.
    Last quick update, I just reinstalled PS and the first load it was right as fast as it should be, and any consecutive try after that its even slower now. It's up to 35 seconds now after reinstall.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

At this point, I'd look to a clean install of OS X, and then a clean install of CC. I'd avoid loading any plugins and retest

11. UntitledImage thread starter macrumors regular

UntitledImage

Ok, so I spent all day yesterday reloading clean installs of everything, one by one and checking it. I believe I have found the problem for those of you might find this thread later.

I guess when PS 2017 released, it thoroughly no longer supported the Nik Collection plug ins from google. My iMac was a set up with migration assistant from an earlier mac and had since been upgraded with Creative Cloud. So I guess by way of that it kept working with the Nik collection even though it was at this point incompatable with the plug in installs. But when I used migration assistant to move to the MacBook, I guess that was the final straw and those plug ins were causing some kind of major slowdown in the application. As I pieced through the installs I got to Nik, it installed, I checked it, PS loaded fine, but the plug in was missing from the filter drop down. Porting them over from the old machine doesn't make them appear either. That's the only variable in the system at this point, no Nik Plug Ins present in PS. And looking around online it seems the only way people have gotten it to work has been because they had previous versions of PS on their machine at one time. This being a fresh machine with a fresh install, and the new PS 2017 being out pretty recently, I imagine it must be something in the perfs or library or something that was allowing it to be grandfathered in with a system with previous 2015.5 installs which isn't present on the new machine, as the absence of those seems to be allowing PS to run normal.... I imagine this problem is going to start appearing for a lot of people in the coming months. Way back when Google bought the Nik software, I swear thats what everyone was worried about, it would eventually become abandon ware....