Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Last month I downsized from an 8-core Mac Prof to a Mac Mini Server after I discovered that I rarely used more than 2 cores. I used a Duet (version 1) on the MP without interference issues.

When I attached it to the Mac mini, I heard static every time I moved the cursor across the screen, etc. even when the volume on the mixer was set to zero (Yamaha monitors).

I started out by purchasing a high-quality FW400 to 800 cable. It helped a little.
Then I purchased Monster cables for the Duet. That helped out a lot more

(I should mention that I use a "Breakout Box" for the Duet that uses what looks like a modified monitor cable (one pin removed).

I still get noise when I move the cursor, but the level is greatly reduced.

Has anyone else noticed RFI/EFI

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I doubt it's RFI/EMI. Probably a driver problem. Are you certain you're using the correct driver for Mountain Lion?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It is almost certainly a grounding issue. Likely due to a lack of grounding altogether on the Mini, whereas the MacPro was probably grounded. Plus the Duet is bus powered which means that isn't grounded either.

As a side note.. I find the Duet doesn't work too great in 10.8. I get the occasional bug and audio glitch..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.