Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Hi long story short, I have a MacBook Pro (15" 1.83ghz, 128mb VRAM) and i have had 6 faults in 6 months. Apple have agreed to send me a new machine - they upgraded it to a (15" 2.16ghz 256mb VRAM) so that was a nice unexpected upgrade. However I am wandering if I should ask for a 17" machine as I would enjoy the extra screen space as I do alot of Final Cut and Photoshop work. The size isnt an issue nor is the weight as I normally work at the same location for long periods of time.

My faulty 15" is being collected tomorrow, do you think it would be worthwhile me upgrdading to the 17" (I would sure like the DL Superdrive) and what do you think my chances of getting apple to agree to this are (as they are already upgrading my machine out of good will). I have seen some people exchange 15" for 17" machines and I think I would also enjoy the extra few benefits the 17" has, surely applecare at the least would allow me to pay the difference to upgrade?

Graham

ampd

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Well, I feel that the 17", though it is possible to move. is more of a desktop replacement than a notebook. I personally would only get the 17" if I planned on keeping it at my desk most the time and rarely move it... When I think of a notebook I see something portable and the 17" in my opinion is not portable...

So it depends what you need...

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
He said that he sits at the same location for long periods of time, so I think the 17" will be fine. It allows the occasional portability if you need it.

It wouldn't hurt to try that with Applecare.

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
There's never enough room on screen for all the #$&%* windows in Photoshop. If the system doesn't move much then a 17" would probably be better. IIRC it has the same resolution as the 20" ACD (1680 x 1050). If you need a system that is moved ocassionally then I would try the 17".

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Well, Apple upgraded my 12" PowerBook G4 to the 15" MacBook Pro free of charge, so I guess anythings possible. Don't get your hopes up though. What's wrong with the 15" anyway?

BTW, if Apple does replace your MacBook Pro, you might get the 2.0 Ghz model. A tiny upgrade from the one you specified.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Oh no the woman on the phone said they will upgrade me to the 2.16 machine, her exact words were 'we;ll upgrade you to the two point sixteen model as a little bit of compensation for all of your troubles'. I was delighted with this and did actually ask her again to make sure I didnt miss hear. I am very happy with the 15" however having been to the apple store an seeing the 17" side by side with the 15" the screen looks amazing, while not adding a great deal in size. OK its a pound heavier and a tad larger, but I already have a 15/17" crumpler bag so moving it around wont be a great problem, and as I already stated in my first post I work in the same place for long periods at a time. I have read many posts of people who are in the multimedia game (which I am) who have regretted not getting the 17" for the extra screen size.

Thanks for your input guys.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Yes definately try to get the 17". I have a 17" PB and had a 15" MBP for a while. I noticed the lighter weight a little bit, but the size was a non-issue. Will be getting a 17" MBP when the next version comes out.

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
I Just Got....

the MBP 17 and i had the 15" tibook and alubook and i had the 17" PB 1.5ghz as well, def get the 17 its just amazing and portability is no problem. One thing people forget is the MBP 17 can use any case that was made for the PB but the 15 mbp can't!!!!!

MBP 17" 2.16ghz
iPod Nano wht 4gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.